Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I know that sunbed tanning might be harmful. However I recently

I know that sunbed tanning might be harmful. However I recently discovered that some shops have sunbed with only UVB (without UVA) and some people use these for vitamin D deficiency. Might tanning 6 minutes a week and avoiding burn with one of these sunbeds, be considered safe?
I live in UK where there isn't much sun and I'm from Italy. My blood level of Vitamin D when I was still living in Italy was already extremely low. But for some reasons I cannot take supplements. My GP told me that vitamin D has no side effects, so my only explanation is that it might trigger my IBS for some reasons. I don't have other health problems. I tried again yesterday and today I felt extremely uncomfortable. Same symptoms worsen by taking coffees and chocolate. That's why I was thinking it might trigger my IBS. Is it possible?
So, would it be safe to use a sunbed that only produce UVB, 6 minutes a week, only during the winter?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Yes, it is possible that it could trigger IBS.
have you tried different formulations of it? like gel tabs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried many types of vitamin D, and also without any addictives. I can take vitamin D2, but not vitamin D3.

so just stay on vitamin D2.
You can take it monthly or every two weeks and that should be fine
tanning beds are not acceptable in any circumstances
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, it seems to understand that also sunbeds with UVB are unsafe.

But... what can be the reason Vitamin D3 trigger my IBS and not Vitamin D2? Also, salmon DO NOT trigger symptoms, even if it contains vitamin D3.

It must be the additives in the D3
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Might it contains additives even if the box just says "vitamin D3" as the only ingredient? There can be a difference in the synthetic formulation?

Yes, it absolutely does.
it is probably the fillers in the pill
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)