DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi there, I have had throat issues for around six months

Hi there,
I have had throat issues for around six months now which are consistent with a feeling like there is a small blockage when swallowing. I believe this could be related to inflammation of sorts as well.
I have seen my doctor who was not of much assistance.
Having come down with an awful cold and cough over Christmas, I noticed yesterday a white spot to the right of my tonsils. Very top back of mouth. It's hard to get a good look. Is the size of a normal spot I guess, raised and white.
I'm a little concerned having read in the past about throat cancers.
Are you able to advise?
Sandra
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I see no reason that this would be throat cancer.
A white spot in this location can be strep throat, and you should get a strep test.
your throat symptoms well could be from acid reflux. This typically creates this type of picture.
Post nasal drip from chronic nasal or sinus problems can also do it.
Throat cancer would not suddenly appear like this.
It would be a long term lesion that ulcerates, and there would normally be risk factors such as aging and smoking, or alcohol abuse.
On the other hand, acid reflux needs to be treated.
See a gastroenterologist if your doctor is not helpful.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.