Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I woke up in the middle of the night with a numbness

Customer Question

I woke up in the middle of the night with a numbness in my left head and neck, it felt so weird and frustrating and I stated doing a head massage to myself while I'm half asleep, and it felt better and I went back to sleep. When I woke up I was fine but I'm really worried about it, and I still feel it's a bit numb, very little comparing with the first one.
I changed my pillows yesterday could be this is the reason?
I'm a 25 year old female and I have no health conditions.
Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
regards
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--has this ever happened before? Can you give me the exact area of all the numbness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, no its the first time, its in my head in my left side only and my left side neck, and now i feel a little bit numbness in my left side of my head only.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Rim. Most likely this is from a pinched nerve in your neck and if it was a recurrent thing I'd say there might be a disk problem in the neck. That said, although I think this is very unlikely, this could have been a transient ischemic attack--a threatened stroke, even at your age. I think you'll be fine but I have to say that it would be best to see a doctor about this as soon as you can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

May I ask you if I can do anything for now? I will take an appointment with a dr tomorrow, but for now what should I be aware of? and what symptoms I should keep an eye on if I feel one of them? to be honest I'm a bit scared now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to scare you Rim but I was obligated to give you the differential here. So long as you don't develop a severe headache or blurry vision or a balance problem then most likely all's well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rated your answer as excellent.

Can I just ask you one last thing, is there any chance that this could be caused from my pillow? as its a new pillow and it might caused loss of blood flow to my neck and brain. is that possible?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--it may just be as simple as "sleeping the wrong way" but this isn't a blood flow problem at all--probably just a briefly pinched nerve