Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Been to Uganda and India within last four weeks. taking larium

Been to Uganda and India within last four weeks. taking larium - have one week left. was bitten a few times in both places. been fine. two days ago began to feel very shivery and temperature went to 38-38.5. Achey and felt fatigued. had headache. No vomiting, no feeling sick. Temperature has settled now to around 37.5. Feel a bit achey but less than before and feel as though have a very mild sore throat and ear ache. Lots of people at work with ear ache, colds, and family member had a virus as well. Concern is malaria or just cold? Can you advise or do i need blood test? just unlikely to get into gps easily over xmas!!!
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Do you have shaking chills?
Do you have headache or vomiting?
Are you feeling dizzy?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no dizzy....had headache...not now....was shivery but not now.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
Well, your symptoms are not related with malaria infection.
Some of the common symptoms with Malaria are-
-Moderate to severe shaking chills,
-High grade fever,
-Profuse sweating as body temperature falls.
Also, one would get other symptoms like-
-Headache,
-Vomiting,
-Diarrhea.
And also you have taken Anti-malarial drug called Lariam.
In your case, most likely present symptoms are not related with Malaria.
These are related with Viral flu, which is very common in such countries.
Having associated sore throat, pain in ear is also part of such viral flu infection.
As such, I don't think you would need test for malaria. No need to get panic.
To control this, please take the following steps:
1. Gargle with hot, saline water - mix 2 teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
2. Steam inhalation - Take a bowl of hot water, and put 2 tsf of salt in it. You can also put menthol in it if you have some. Inhale the steam that rises from the water.
3. Drink a glass of warm lemon juice daily.
4. You can suck on hard sweets - the saliva trickling down the throat will be soothing.
5. Take Tylenol for fever and pain. You can start at two tablets every four to six hours as needed.
6. You should take Antihistamines like Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC), Also take Decongestants - Sudafed 120 mg once daily(OTC) and Otrivin nasal drops 2 drops three times daily in both nostrils(OTC).
Most likely, with such measures, you would be free from symptoms in next 3-4 days.
I wish for your good health.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.