Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, I just wanted to ask following my situation as described

Hi, I just wanted to ask following my situation as described in the previous question, if it is normal that I have a strong cough that bothers me every time I go to sleep, usually every 15 minutes it wakes me up. It is a productive cough. Is it normal for laryngitis or it could be sth else? I have quit smoking the last 4 days and I thought that maybe it is because of that and the lungs are cleansing (cilia). I am taking a cough syrup (over the counter) but it doesn`t make a difference. Do you think I should go to a hospital? I don`t have fever or any other new symptom and my voice is getting a bit better every day. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Is the phlegm clear or colored? Any problem with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the phlegm is clear, or yellow with few brown spots. From the nose is always clear. I had sent another question 3 days ago, I don`t know if you can see it so you can see exactly what my symptoms were etc.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No heartburn or indigestion, but I do have chest and back aches when I cough too hard or too many times. But it feels more like my muscles are tired from the coughing and then it goes away.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes I took a look at that. Pure laryngitis doesn't cause either a cough or phlegm production. It is true that once someone stops smoking quite often they can develop a cough they never had before. One thing here--if this is happening after you fall asleep it could be from acid reflux from your stomach even if you have no heartburn symptoms, and it might help in that case to take something like Zantac or Prevacid daily for a few days All that said, if this continues for more than about five more days you probably have a bacterial bronchitis and you'd need antibiotics for that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used to have the gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, that made me cough etc., however I don`t eat during my sickness only drink many warm fluids and I don`t feel the heartburn symptoms that I used to have when I ate sth sensitive for my stomach.

I am worried about the strong cough and phlegm though, now that you said that it is not caused from pure laryngitis. I thought in laryngitis they had cough (that resembles to a dog or sth). So what is it that causes my cough? Is it because I quit smoking or is it another infection? Should I wait or should I have a doctor to see me tonight?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It could be from your stopping smoking Elena but it could be bronchitis. Usually bronchitis clears in less than ten days and if the symptoms go beyond that then the patient needs antibiotics. Right now I don't consider this an urgent matter that would warrant your seeing a doctor tonight
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.