Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My husband is 85 yrs old. Has recently come out of hospital

My husband is 85 yrs old. Has recently come out of hospital 8 days ago, he is on Fludrocortisone 1.5 tablets a day for low blood pressure. He has been constipated all week, I have been for Lactulose and Suppositories from the Surgery this evening. He has had 2 doses of the liquid , but not yet had the Suppositories inserted. Also had 3 Senokot earlier and some prunes. He doesn't move around much as he is prone to Falls, also hasn't been eating much at all, although I try to encourage drinking water, which he doesn't like. He prefers to stay in bed as he suffers from bad neck pain and likes as he puts it" to put his head down". he is in terrible pain in the rectum at the moment, and not passing anything much. what can I do to help him? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like he is very constipated.

Dr. David :

I would use the suppositories now and see if that helps him have a bowel movement.

Dr. David :

you have tried many items which work from the top including lactulose, prunes, water, senokot.

Dr. David :

you have to try from down below now including Fleet or glycerine suppositories or fleet enemas.

Dr. David :

he might need a finger glove dis impaction to help get his stools to start moving.

Dr. David :

he could be having very very very hard stool in his rectum which needs you to go in with a gloved finger and some lubricant to help pick out the stools so he can start having a movement.

Dr. David :

at his age of 85, he might be too old and weak to push out hard constipated stool.

Dr. David :

if you can't do this, you might have to have a nurse help him dis-impact his stools.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like he is very constipated.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions