Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Dentistry question: I have a tooth infection which causes

Dentistry question:
I have a tooth infection which causes a continuous spot to emerge on the side of the gum by the tooth. I've has this problem for about 6 weeks.
I visited my dentist just before Christmas, and we agreed that I would have a tooth extraction but would wait until after the holidays. In the meantime I was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg - 21 Capsules.
I have now completed the dose but I believe the infection is still present because the spot on the side of the gum continues to reappear.
My appointment for the extraction is in 2 weeks time, and I wanted to know if it's ok to wait that long?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

If the spot is not painful and not swollen, then this should not be a problem.

Dr Basu :

Infection was likely treated fully with amoxicillin course.

Dr Basu :

However, if you do have pain, then there can still be infection.

Dr Basu :

Also if you are able to post a picture here of the spot, I may be able to provide further information on its nature.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thanks Doctor.

Dr Basu :

very welcome

Customer:

The spot is not painful, but it still leaks pus at times, hence I'm not sure if the Amoxicillin worked?
The spot only swells when I eat, but I cant post a picture because it's at the back of my upper gum and I can reach with a camera.
It was interesting that I was suffering from diarrhea, and that has stopped since taking the Amoxicillin, so maybe that was all connected too...

Dr Basu :

Ok thanks for your clarification.

Dr Basu :

Then most likely this is due to the dentigerous cyst

Dr Basu :

That can form pus and swelling.

Dr Basu :

Antibiotic may not work well but it should resolve after tooth extraction and drainage of the area.

Dr Basu :

Yes diarrhea may have been infectious which got treated with amoxicillin.

Dr Basu :

So, any further antibiotic course for this problem will not be helpful.

Dr Basu :

However, if no pain or worsening swelling, you may wait for now.

Customer:

right understood, so you think I am probably safe to wait 2 weeks until my appointment if the only symptom is the continuous spot, but no pain?

Dr Basu :

correct

Customer:

thank you very much, I just wanted to get a second opinion as the wait is longer than I would usually leave it due to the Christmas holidays and everything.

Customer:

very much appreciate your time, and thank you again

Dr Basu :

very welcome

Dr Basu :

Best wishes