Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

four years ago I suffered COPD,I now cough up flegm tinted

Customer Question

four years ago I suffered COPD,I now cough up flegm tinted with red,which looks like it could be blood, or is it residue from lungs?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I am Dr.Amita and I would be glad to assist you

Dr.Amita :

If there is a suspicion of blood in sputum it calls for a visit to a doctor and have your sputum checked

Dr.Amita :

It may not turn out to be blood but it cannot be ignored

Dr.Amita :

There can be many causes of blood in sputum and commonest among these is bronchitis which is treatable but certain other serious disorders may also cause blood to appear in sputum and therefore you need to be seen by a doctor who can examine you and order relevant tests

Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

I see that you have rated the answer as bad service.

Dr.Amita :

This is a discussion and you can continue.What I have told you is correct and the answer is not something you may have liked to hear but I need to tell you the right thing to do and it would be unethical on my part to tell you that everything is alright.Consider this before you rate this as bad.