Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

A scan has revealed a 7 cm tear inside the right arm . Something

Customer Question

A scan has revealed a 7 cm tear inside the right arm . Something about tendon . What is this called ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Depending on the location this could be a tear of one of the tendon heads of the biceps muscle at the shoulder or a tear of the triceps or biceps tendon at the elbow. If you have any more information I'll be glad to answer further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why would this happen without injury sustained ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good question. Potentially it wouldn't take a major trauma--just lifting a somewhat hefty weight. There could be an autoimmune problem like polymyositis that has weakened the tendons and I would screen you for that with an antinuclear antibody test, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the person does have arthritis

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And if it's rheumatoid arthritis that would be one autoimmune disorder that can affect tendons