Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

can a ruptured knee captsule heal itseif

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi First off can you tell me more about this ruptured capsule and what's been done for it so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

unhappy with answer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Edward--I haven't given you an answer as yet. It would help greatly if you first could tell me more about the injury
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was a knee replacement. The injury was due to a doctor trying to check the condition of the knee and the capsule was ruptured. A physiotherapist told me that it would heal itself over time but it hasn't done. There is now a fluid sac under the skin at the side of the knee.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Edward. Thanks for that information. Unfortunately at this point I don't think this will heal on its own. For now the fluid needs to be needle aspirated and a cortisone injection given at the same time. Hopefully that along with physical therapy will resolve the problem but the capsule itself won't actually heal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that to use a needle to draw the fluid off would be too risky for infection?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not at all if antiseptic technique is scrupulously followed with cleansing of the skin and Betadine applied and the doctor uses sterile drapes and gloves
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks. I will go back to the surgeon who advised me of the risk of infection and said that I would probably need another replacement knee.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how that goes Edward and please remember to rate my service to you