Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

I first suffered depression at 16. Saw Irish family go whose

I first suffered depression at 16. Saw Irish family go whose advice was to "go meet a nice Irish boy and you'll be fine"
At 19, I was in my 2nd year of nurse training (1974) struggling to the point of desperation.
In 1976, I left my career much to my parents dismay and flew off to be a nanny in southern Spain. I haven't felt "normal" for many years but somehow I kept plodding on. I started to use alcohol over the years from aged 16 which eventually became my main coping 'strategy'
I married because I felt I must and felt squeezed out. Had two children and again I made this happen as a way of coping. Eventually, and after many years of alcoholism, anxiety and depression, stays at various 'rehabs' etc I nearly died from liver failure. At last in 2013 I was admitted to a detox and then a rehab - 12steps. I was there 6months and had a "spiritual" experience which has kept me vibrant since 14th may 2013 (my 58th birthday). Thought ?I'd cracked it as I felt so much gratitude and spiritually ALIVE.
I'll be 60 yrs old in May. It hasn't been easy and I still feel so different from everyone else. No one would guess how troubled and frightened I really am! Weighing everything up, I feel that I have a mental health issue that needs looking at. I'm emotionally strong on the outside. I am genuinely loving and caring (that is my nature). I know I have helped others a great deal but I am desperately lonely. However, I feel that there is something fundamentally wrong with my mental health.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Natasha :

have you see a psychiatrist?

Customer: Yes on and off since I was 19yrs old. Last time was 10years ago
Dr. Natasha :

Well, it sounds like you probably need to see one

Dr. Natasha :

A GP is not going to help you

Dr. Natasha :

they don't have the psychotherapy skills and they are not up on the medciations

Dr. Natasha :

it sounds like you have been dealing with this for a while and can compensate well, but it is not ideal

Customer: Yes that's what I thought. I would be happy to receive your advice at this moment. Am I abit mad? I have multiple health problems. Also I am a spiritual person
Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

It is possible that you may have some psychological issues (which we ALL do at some point in our life)

Dr. Natasha :

and that can exacerbate any underlying medical problems you have

Dr. Natasha :

stress can do amazing and terrible things- high blood pressure, ulcers, skin disease, etc

Customer: Dr Natasha please step back into this chat for me! In England one needs a referral from gp. It's an uphill battle and I'm lost. Please advise me
Dr. Natasha :

I am here

Dr. Natasha :

You need to ask your GP for a referral.

Dr. Natasha :

Or you can go private

Dr. Natasha :

you don't need a referral for a private psychiatrist, only for the NHS

Dr. Natasha :

did you see that

Dr. Natasha :

did I provide you with excellent service?

Dr. Natasha :

hello?

Dr. Natasha :

one thing that you can consider trying which is at the health store is st. johns wort

Dr. Natasha :

that is a natural antidepressant, but make sure that you do not have any contraindications- read the label very very well

Customer: Thank you! I suffer from :- alcoholic liver disease, early onset osteotarthritis, prurigo nodularis, damage ligament s both knees,mental health, anxiety, wear hearing aids and just now have musical ear syndrome! Had cataract op both eyes 2011.
Dr. Natasha :

yeah, give it a go

Dr. Natasha :

see if it helps

Dr. Natasha :

Customer: need advice on prescribed medication - omeprazole 20mgs daily
Customer: .
Dr. Natasha :

ok

Customer: Omeprazole. Cetrizinr. CIpralex. Naproxen. Paracetamol. Codeine. VitB comp. amatriptyline and hydroxyzine every night.
Dr. Natasha :

yeah, you may not want to take the st. johns wort and the amitryptine together

Customer: it's just dawned on me that I'm being thrown potential cures with no overview or holistic approach being overseen by my go.
Customer: do you know how I can find a decent gp?
Customer: Ri meant psychotherapist?
Customer: Psychiatrist ?
Dr. Natasha :

psychiatrist

Dr. Natasha :

what is your post code

Customer: No I don't take St Johns Wort. I know that Cipralex and Amyitriptylene shouldn't be taken at the same time! The amatriptyline is for all over body pain.
Customer: I
Customer: My postcode is CW9 7ET
Dr. Natasha :

try these guys:

Dr. Natasha :

http://www.timberhillhealthcentre.nhs.uk/

Customer: Thank you! What, in your opinion is 'wrong' with me?
Dr. Natasha :

it is hard to say without an indepth personal analysis of you, but you may be slightly depressed

Dr. Natasha :

anyway, I have to go- we have been chatting for 1 hour and I need to go to NYE party here in California

Dr. Natasha :