Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I assume I have flu but it's the second time in one month.

I assume I have flu but it's the second time in one month. This time it is worse. What concerns me is that I have no cold type symptoms at all. No cough. No blocked or runny nose. I have a severe headache, suffering shivering and my skin is incredibly tender. Pain all over my body and extreme tiredness. I am taking co codamol 30/500 two every 4 to six hours that is prescribed for my fibromyalgia. The symptoms started 6 days ago and I don't feel any better. The co codamol relieves all the symptoms but I am now worried about serious constipation. I am staying in bed and drinking plenty of fluids. Is it the flu?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

For how long are you having these current symptoms?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your symptoms can be due to a viral infection even if you do not cold type symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Some viruses only cause generalized aches and pains in the body without causing flu or cold like symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

these symptoms, if due to a viral infection, usually will settle in up to a couple of weeks time.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you have already been suffering from these symptoms for more than a couple of weeks then you need to be evaluated further.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you have been having these symptoms for a few days only then you need to wait it out for another few days and hopefully the symptoms will settle.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I have had the symptoms for 6days. Looks like it is the flu. What do I do about constipation?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
The most common cause of symptoms like what you are having is infection with the influenza virus.
The common cold or the 'flu' that we commonly call is usually caused by another virus called as the rhinovirus in up to 80% of the cases.
For constipation you should continue intake of a lot of fluids, increase fiber in your diet or you can take fiber supplements like metamucil or benefiber. If that does not work you can try taking milk of magnesia.
Constipation definitely is a very common problem that happens with codamol.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine