Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been diagnosed with an ear infection which I am taking

I have been diagnosed with an ear infection which I am taking Amoxicyllin for. I am 5 days into the course. I have been advised to inhale Olbas oil in hot water which I am doing at least 5 times a day. However, I still have significant deafness in both ears, plus high levels of tinnitus and my own voice booming in my head. Is this to be expected? Should I be concerned about long term damage? Is there anything else I could be doing?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

I am an ear, nose and throat specialist and can assist you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have all this?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have tinnitus in both ears?

Dr. Hasan :

Is your hearing loss persistent or it comes and goes?

Customer: Infection diagnosed on 27th Dec.
Dr. Hasan :

ok

Customer: yes, in both ears and perms ant hearing loss
Dr. Hasan :

Were you having any nasal obstruction, nasal discharge etc when you got this infection? Have you seen ENT and any haring tests done?

Customer: No, straightforward infection started as sore throat ( as always). Not had hearing tested. Been told by GP this is straightforward ear infection. Has to ride its course. But I am deeply worried with deafness. I think this is a more severe infection that I have had in a long time. I understand that deafness is often a result of fluid in the ears, but would like some reassurance that this is the case.
Dr. Hasan :

Pinch your nose tightly, blow air in closed mouth. Does this makes a difference?

Customer: Yes, ears do pop. Can hear slightly better when popped out but have some hyper sensitivity to noise at that point.
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this is infection but this is not simple fluid in middle ear.

Dr. Hasan :

Tinnitus is seen when inner ear also gets involved.

Dr. Hasan :

The level of deafness you have is not consistent with middle ear fluid.

Dr. Hasan :

Your voice is booming in your head because of hearing loss but deafness and tinnitus are worrisome.

Dr. Hasan :

I suggest that you should see your doctor as early as possible and should ask for oral steroids.

Dr. Hasan :

We give oral steroids for 3 weeks in tapering dosage and they almost always recover the hearing.

Dr. Hasan :

You may also need betahistine tablet which increases blood supply to inner ear and helps in recovery.

Dr. Hasan :

Ideally you should be seen by an ENT but you can go to GP if ENT can't be seen early.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry but i have to advice all this as hearing restoration in inner ear infections need all this.

Dr. Hasan :

Till you go, you can take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily

Dr. Hasan :

You can take over the counter available tab sudafed twice daily and xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

You can do this if you don't have high blood pressure or heart disease.

Dr. Hasan :

These measures will help with drainage of middle ear fluid.

Dr. Hasan :

I hope this helps you.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Dr. Hasan :

and please don't stress yourself, this is treatable but you have to follow the exact course.

Customer: Yes. Surely if this was an inner ear infection, would I not have balance/ dizziness issues? Also, if the middle ear is full of fluid and my hearing is reduced, would the level of tinnitus that I always have ( which is very low level) seem louder anyway?
Dr. Hasan :

It is not necessary to have balance problem in inner ear infection.

Dr. Hasan :

One part of inner ear is concerned with balance and other with hearing.

Dr. Hasan :

symptoms depend on which part is involved.

Dr. Hasan :

Loudness of tinnitus means that inner ear has involved.

Dr. Hasan :

Please don't worry, you are going to be al right but follow my advice, it will help you.

Customer: O.K. Thanks for your advice. Do you think my GP if I can actually get to see them will be sympathetic to the fact that I am going in with a suggested course of action for something that they have said I should wait out?
Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. I think he should because you have not got any response from antibiotics and this time you have got some knowledge about your problem after our discussion. So you will be able to convince them. In medicine nothing is final, if drugs are not working we have to change the course of action and f course he will do this as well.

Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes and prayers will be with you.

Customer: Thanks.
Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :