Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello doctor. I have a question regarding the Noriday pill.

Hello doctor.
I have a question regarding the Noriday pill. I recently took two pills together as emergency contraception . I took the pills within 24 hours ( i wasn't taking the pill as it should normally be taken otherwise so i was unprotected ) Within a week i had started bleeding, at the expected time for my period and i have been bleeding for about 2 /2 weeks altogether although it has definitely lightened. Just wondering first of all is Noriday suitable for use as Emergency contraception and secondly, is the prolonged bleed due to hormone fluctuation or is it possible it was also a genuine period. I dont' think there was a real danger that i am pregnant but i took as a precautionary measure and due to worry over possibility i might be.
Many thanks in advance .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Are you saying you only missed one day of taking the pill? And have you now checked a pregnancy test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not on the pill at all this was just two pills as a once off use. I have not yet taken a pregnancy test as i still have a slight bleed

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK then. No, just taking two pills when you hadn't been taking them regularly would not give you much in the way of contraception properties. That said, taking those two pill could well have shifted your hormone balance and be causing the prolonged period now. I don't think you're pregnant but if you were a pregnancy test would be positive by now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou so much , i will of course do a pregnancy test but this has been really helpful.

have a lovely evening,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You too but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you