Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

is it possible for a swab test taken on a wart on my penis

Customer Question

is it possible for a swab test taken on a wart on my penis to show up negative and then be positive.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

sometimes a false negative result can happen.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have a picture of the wart?

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

no. i don't know how to do it. I had a swab with a private dr. and he sent the results back . They came back negative and i saw my own dr. He looked and said it was genital warts. He is not a specialist but could it be possible he diagnosed wrong.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, the most common cause of warts in the genital area is human papilloma virus.

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

No what I am saying is because he is a Gp and not a specialist could his diagnosis be wrong? The swab test was negative.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Actually, any person who is a doctor, simple doctor, can diagnose a wart.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do not require a specialist for that

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is very common.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not know why the specialist did not pick it up.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A wart has a very typical appearance.

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

Could it not be a wart that is not contagious.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Warts are usually contagious

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would not say it is not contagious.

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

But the results came back negative for all PPV. I went privately and they said their testing is the best. Is it at all possible that my wart was not caused by sexual activity with the other person. I did not penetrate.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Skin to skin contact can also cause transmission of warts.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But warts that are located in the genital area i.e. in the penis or scrotum etc are usually sexually transmitted

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

I am going to a GUM clinic on Monday for a 2nd opinion. Do you think I will definitely have genital warts or is there any chance at all that it is a non infectious wart.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is a chance that it is non infectious wart.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But the chances of that happening are very less.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just want to be honest with you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions that you have for me?

JACUSTOMER-07puimrc- :

Will they be able to tell straight away.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes they will usually be able to tell straightaway.

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

Hello.

The reason there is confusion here is that you can not to a swab test to identify a wart or the strain of the wart.

The wart must be removed and sent to the lab, or a piece of the lesion, not a swab, must be sent to the lab.See this link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139291/

Tere is some importance to accurate diagnosis if you are sexually active: some strains are cancer producing, some are not.

I am a double board certified, US doctor and I will always give you accurate answers.

Find me by request in medical as needed.

Please click a positive rating...this is how we are paid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If this is positive my life is done. I have let down my loved partner. Why would these results come back negative wrongly and why would the people I paid let me down.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have not seen what test you had, and not what was done.
It is possible that it was more than a swab, and that the doctor took a piece of tissue.
I would be glad to look at a picture if you have one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a picture,doctor. But the doctor took something off. The people who I went to were private people called just to know . I paid for the service and it took a long time to get the results. I have contacted them and am very disappointed as I was so relieved and now i am back to square one. They are reputable and are saying the test should not have given false result.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If they took a piece off, then they probably did a definitive test in the lab.
Therefore, you and request the lab report.
Why don't you do that?
The report will also have a summary which indicates what this is.
If not a wart, then you need to call the urologist and ask what the final diagnosis is.
Also, if it were a wart, they would have a type.
Warts are not all STDs. A common wart can infact, appear anywhere on the body.
You can have the virus for years before it ever expresses itself.
Warts are generally not a big deal unless a cancer producing strain.
It sounds like this was something else then, but the question you should ask that doctor is...what.
ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.