Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

is it possible for someone suffering from hypothyroidism for

is it possible for someone suffering from hypothyroidism for a number of years to suffer from nephritis and psychiatric illness
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes psychiatric illness is definitely possible.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hypothyroidism is usually an autoimmune illness, so other autoimmune diseases associated with hypothyroidism can cause nephritis as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So both things can happen with hypothyroidism either directly or indirectly.

Customer:

What should I do about my adult daughter who is highly intelligent but seems to be making irrational statements and decisions regarding her own health

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Difficult to say but can you please elaborate on the decisions that she is making.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also mention her age.

Customer:

I live in a difficult situation with an alcoholic husband. She lives with me but blames me for her illness as she has been asking me to save her by leaving and taking her with me. She says she has refused treatment as I will have to watch her die as a result of my intransigence about leaving my 66 year old husband. There is no flexibility about me getting a flat nearby with her so that I can go and look after him on a frequent basis. It is all or nothing. She won't tell me anything about her conditions apart from them being serious and she has OCD which is getting worse. She thinks that I am 'evil' and mad because I won't save my own flesh and blood.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Really sorry to know that you are living through such a difficult situation.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your daughter definitely requires professional help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She, not only requires regular follow up with her GP but should also regularly follow up with a psychiatrist and psychologist because she requires counselling and medications.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you following me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If her hypothyroidism is not well controlled she definitely does need to have it controlled as it can be at least one factor leading to her symptoms.

Customer:

Yes but how can you tell that she needs help from what I have told you as I don't know whether it is her or me who needs the help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Like you mentioned she has hypothyroidism so she does require regular follow up for that particularly if that is not well controlled with medications.

Customer:

she has refused medication for this condition which I believe she has had for a number of years. She has tried to treat it with homeopathy and other alternative treatments.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Homeopathy and alternative treatments will most likely not help her

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She definitely requires professional care and she needs to be counselled into going to a doctor and seeking help.

Customer:

But how do I get help for her then. Nobody will speak to me about her condition.She can tie most counsellors up in knots anyway. Will her doctor speak to me at all in any way in order to put me in the picture about what needs to be done and if necessary, confronting her about it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes, I think that her doctor should help if he is considerate enough.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

She definitely does require a determined person who has the persistence to persuade her.

Customer:

Well that isn't me as I am too close to the situation and can't see things properly.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No, it is not you,

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think it is your daughter.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

No thanks.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards