Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome as well as

I have a diagnosis of polycystic ovary syndrome as well as suffering from bulimia (even though I'm overweight). Is there any connection between the two? If I took something to help regulate my cycle would it help me to control my binge/purge cycle too? I've suffered with bulimia for about 15 years and in that time I've gained weight. I know that that is probably partly due to my huge binges and the fact that purging is not that effective but I also wonder if the insulin resistance could be part of it. I was diagnosed with PCOS about five years ago. I was prescribed the pill but have never bothered to take it because I knew I'd be throwing it up again within a couple of hours. In fact that is the case with all the medication I'm prescribed - I take it sometimes and sometimes the constant vomiting makes it seem pointless. I have a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder and am prescribed Aripiprazole, Sertraline, Lithium and Depixol (depot injection) but it never seems to have much effect when I take it - possibly because I'm usually bringing it back up within the hour.
Who do you think I should discuss this with? I doubt my gynecologist has much time for my mental health issues and I'm sure my psychiatrist would probably just refer me back to the gynecologist. I've never discussed my eating issues with anyone as I'm too ashamed. I'm an overweight 34 year old not an underweight teenager and I don't know if there is any help for me out there anyway.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there,This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : I understand your frustration.
Dr Basu : you will need to see an endocrinologist for further evaluation.
Dr Basu : Yes, PCOS and eating disorder related due to the hormonal imbalances.
Dr Basu : Excess androgen in the body can mess up with your psyche as well.
Dr Basu : Metformin is s popular drug used for both PCOS and eating disorder.
Dr Basu : Metformin will control your eating behavior as well.
Dr Basu : Also there is a new medication called Belviq.
Dr Basu : Belviq is considered if metformin does not fully relieve your symptoms.
Dr Basu : Also get your thyroid function checked.
Customer:

Do you think I should try to discuss this with my psychiatrist, gynecologist or my GP? I'm in the UK. I'd need a referral to see an endocrinologist.

Dr Basu : I think you should discuss with your gp first.
Dr Basu : he can start metformin akso.
Dr Basu : and he can refer you to an endocrinologist.
Customer:

Is it possible or rare to be over weight and bulimic? I've always been scared to bring it up as I am overweight and rather ashamed of my behaviour.

Dr Basu : It is quite common in fact.
Dr Basu : so do not blame yourself.
Dr Basu : treatable
Customer:

Also, could the regular purging having contributed to the other meds not working? My Lithium bloods are fairly erratic. I don't know if it affects the depot injection but I've never had an antidepressant work for me either.

Dr Basu : That is likely from medication side effects like sertraline.
Dr Basu : lithium level fluctuates a lot so not only you.
Dr Basu : no it does not affect depo injection.
Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Dr Basu : Very welcome
Dr Basu : best wishes
Customer:

You too. Bye.