Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello. I have a severely swollen upper eye lid (left eye).it

Hello. I have a severely swollen upper eye lid (left eye).it has not been accompanied with symptoms iv previously had with conjunctivitis ( I.e red eye, discharge). The eye lid is very tender, hurts when blinking and slight cloudiness of vision. Is there anything I could do at home to ease the pain before trying to get an appointment at local medical centre next week.thankyou very much. Hayley bayliss
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have symptoms related to nose?

Dr. Hasan :

Is the lower lid normal?

Customer: Hello, thankyou for trying to help. For the last week I have noticed the eye lid was sensitive to touch but it was not inflamed. Only this morning I woke up and the upper eye lid has swollen to the point it looks like it's covering half my eye. The lower lid looks normal and is not sensitive to touch
Dr. Hasan :

Thank you for your reply

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have symptoms related to nose?

Customer: No symptoms related to nose.
Dr. Hasan :

Is lower lid normal?

Dr. Hasan :

Is upper lid warmer than surroundings and do you have fever?

Customer: yes, the lower lid is normal. The upper lid feels warmer, I don't have a fever.
Dr. Hasan :

Have you tried anything so far?

Customer: i have also noticed when I tilt my head forward (as if to pick something up) I feel pressure behind my eye
Dr. Hasan :

ok

Customer: only a cold flannel to try take the swelling away, tho I do keep changing the flannels
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms this is likely to be infection of the upper lid or it can be even an abscess inside.

Customer: Thankyou very much
Dr. Hasan :

My first suggestion is to go to emergency room to get this examined as you may need antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

But as far as your question is concerned that what you can do yourself, yes I have suggestions.

Dr. Hasan :

Till you go, over the counter available tab naproxen two times a day or over the counter avaiable tab ibuprofen three times a day can help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover wash your eye frequently with plain water and apply hot compresses over the affected lid.

Dr. Hasan :

These measures will give you much relief but you should get an evaluation as early as possible.

Customer: Thankyou so much for your advice. Unfortunatly I live on a military base abroad currently and all shops are shut tomorrow but I thankfully have some ibuprofen
Dr. Hasan :

Oh that's good.

Dr. Hasan :

What is the strength of that in mg?

Dr. Hasan :

200, 400, 600 or more?

Customer: 200mg
Dr. Hasan :

Ok then you should take two tablets three times a day.

Dr. Hasan :

Only then it will be sufficient to meet your requirement for pain.

Dr. Hasan :

Get well soon.

Customer: Thankyou again for your advice. It's truly appreciated. Take care and all the best
Dr. Hasan :

you are most welcome. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.