Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my husband, aged 70 has suffered from severe depression for

Customer Question

my husband, aged 70 has suffered from severe depression for years. He has made 4 suicide attempts, and on 3 occasions very nearly succeeded. These are NOT "cries for help" but genuine attempts to end his life.
At the present time I believe he intends to make another attempt, having locked himself away. he has disabled the 'phone, and in any event would refuse the attendances of paramedics. likewise he would refuse to allow himself hospital admittance.
I am worried sick. he is a good man, and I love him desperately. Please help.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. We can continue after this if you need to but if you yourself have access to a phone you need to call the police. Since he's obviously a danger to himself they can forcibly take him to the hospital where a psychiatrist can put him in a locked ward under suicide surveillance and he can be medicated and receive therapy sessions there whether he agrees or not