Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

CAN I LIVE WITHOUT A LIVER? LIVE EXPECTANCY IF I CAN LIVE WITHOUT

CAN I LIVE WITHOUT A LIVER? LIVE EXPECTANCY IF I CAN LIVE WITHOUT A LIVER
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

No, someone cannot live without any functioning liver. It is not necessary to have 100% liver function. It is estimated that a person can live with about 10% of liver function. But if the disease process is causing complete loss of function, it would be impossible to live.

Also, there is no external treatment that can replace the liver in the same way that we can perform the kidney function with dialysis. In a situation in which a disease process is destroying the entire liver, the only possibility for survival would be a liver transplant, although there are clinical considerations regarding whether a liver transplant would be an option.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
However, you can do a partial liver donation.
It is a liver donor transplant.
they take a large portion of your liver and donate it to the person and both regenerate.
You or a family member can do this if the liver is a good match.
Ask the doctors about this