Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a dull ache in the groin area on the left handside.

Customer Question

I have a dull ache in the groin area on the left handside. No sign or history of hernia,Also a back ache on the same side with occasional ache in the left buttock area. This has been occurring for the last 3 weeks and fluctuates in intensity. I am not on any meds. I am 58 male self employed builder. What do you suggest? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is there any tenderness when you press on these areas of ache/pain?
Are there any actions or positions that exacerbate the ache/pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried to locate areas that maybe more sensitive by pressing but have not found an area more tender by doing this. Twisting,bending and turning have no noticeable affect. The ache is fairly constant but can vary in intensity from mild to medium .

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of pain in the groin, back, and buttocks would be musculoskeletal, most often from wear and tear of the musculoskeletal system, also called degenerative changes. Whenever there is pain in the groin, there should be consideration of a hernia, but with no sign of a hernia, the most common cause of groin pain is degenerative changes in the hip. The presence of pain that is also in the back and buttocks is also consistent with degenerative changes.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to make a clear diagnosis, but there are a couple of home interventions that can be tried. It would be reasonable to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory drug, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Moist heat also can help ease inflammation, so can be used either as a moist heating pad or soaking in hot water, 2-3 times per day.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer
The system says that the question is relisted because of no answer.

I posted an answer above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Appologies Dr Love..... pc problem.

No need for an apology. I am glad you were able to ultimately receive the post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could these symptoms be indicative of psoriatic arthritis? I have as yet an undiagnosed condition which was started by a leaking dental abcess causing several joints to swell and an outbreak of psoriasis around my nose and top lip area. I was prescribed 1gram fluoxicillin every 4 hours for three weeks.This hip/groin area is a new development.

I understand that without a full examination and blood/urine tests it is difficult to accurately diagnose but I am grateful for any input you may have.

Yes. In fact, these symptoms could be related to any cause of arthritis, but the degenerative arthritis is statistically far more common in the general population. However, since you are developing skin manifestations of psoriasis, that would increase the risk that you have also developed psoriatic arthritis.