Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i wake up feeling sick and hot when i get up my balance has

i wake up feeling sick and hot when i get up my balance has gone i am then very sick and my bowels an d bladder opens this last for 2 hours i cant move out of bathroom I start to cool down and then start shivering it take me a hour to warm up this happens about every 6 weeks . i had a mri scan which showed nothing have been taking betahistine 16mg for 5 months which have not helped have you got any advice for me
Thank You Val Albiston
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is this loss of balance more a sensation of lightheadedness or is there a sensation of spinning?
What is your temperature when you are feeling hot or cool?
Do you have the ability to check your blood pressure at home? If so, what is your blood pressure during these episodes?
Are you taking any other medicines for any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry very hot have to strip off when hot when cool of start feeling better

feet and legs very cold and shivering. had blood pressure taken after first one had me standing up and down blood pressure normal

taking Hrt and antripline for back surgery 20 yrs ago

Have you taken your temperature during these episodes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no not had temp taken skin very hot it is balance that goes have to hold on to somthing or my husband or would fall overi t has happened 3 times all exactly the same thank you

There are many possible cause of imbalance, but the most common cause is an inner ear problem. If your blood pressure is normal during these episodes, that would increase the likelihood that it is an inner ear problem. Since your doctor has prescribed the betahistine, your doctor also apparently thought this was due to an inner ear problem.

If the betahistine is not effective, the usual next step is to perform a more detailed evaluation of the inner ear, which typically means seeing an ENT specialist and performing an ENG. It is also possible that there could be a problem affecting the nerve that serves the inner ear, so an MRI also may be helpful.

I keep asking about the temperature because a true fever would suggest either an infectious or inflammatory process. A sensation of heat when the temperature is normal is more related to flushing of the skin.

Until you can be seen, there are relatively limited options available over the counter. You can try another medicine designed to suppress the inner ear, such as meclizine or dimenhydrinate. One of the conditions of the inner ear that can cause imbalance is due to crystals forming and settling in the inner ear. There are maneuvers that can be tried to move these crystals. The maneuvers are easier to learn when shown by a doctor, but you can try to learn the Epley maneuver by watching online instructions and see if it helps ease the symptoms.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice I have had a mRi scan and seen a Ent who prescribed betahistine I do not see Ent until April but in the mean time i will get thermometer and blood pressure and check if I have another episode Thank You Val Albiston

You are welcome.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.