Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My friend is suffering from liver psirosis and the doctor has

Customer Question

My friend is suffering from liver psirosis and the doctor has advised him to prepare his will as his liver is out of action. Can I donate 99% of my liver as humans can function on 1%.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Actually, what I said on my other post is that you could live on 10% of your liver. If a liver transplant is done, it is not necessary to take 90% of the donor liver, as there is then no buffer for any future problems with the liver, but a partial liver transplant can be done.

However, whether you can be that donor would depend upon whether you are a match. Statistically, it would be very unlikely that you would be a match, but if you are a match, then you could be a donor.