Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi Dr chip. Relaxing now. But still spooked I had a vowel movement

Hi Dr chip. Relaxing now. But still spooked I had a vowel movement earlier well tried got hard balls and some mucus. My wife whis a nutritionist said stop panicking !!! It's ibs the more you panic the worse the constipation and light yellow mucus will get. Do you agree ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I asked a follow up with Dr chip no response ??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just got on Mark. Definitely sounds like IBS--are there times where you alternate between loose and hard stools?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well to be honest. Mandy feeds me a great diet and if I'm honest my poo has gone all over the place over 20 years ! Mainly ok number 4 on the chart !!! But sometimes a flare of constipation. That's when I get the pain ibs. It comes in dec XMAS. ! Every year and around stressful moments my wife notices she's says. That mucus with constipation ie if you force but a stool dosnt come out. Means that the normal mucus that's you don't normally see will come out . Is she right. ? She says I have ibs c. And she agrees completely with you the blood work evaluates the organs.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
She's right that if your stool is hard and doesn't slide out easily and the normal mucus doesn't get mixed in with the stool you will just see the mucus slide out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So. I've taken a laxative and had dinner I feel fine. She says relax and it will pass. The blood work is excellent. She also says anemia red cells all wrong with bowel probs. ? And my doc did a full abdominal exam two weeks ago and said all perfect she said he can feel abnormalities. ?? She is a yoga teacher as well and said I need meditation. !! But I'm not a hippy !!! So should I chill ? I have no pain just keep panicking about constipation and stool color
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--tell me right now specifically what you're worrying about Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm worried its a serious problem like I always do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
But let's do a little CBT here--you don't have any specific thoughts except that it might be something more serious than IBS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's exactly it.
I only consider it serious !!!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Wow--sort of free floating health anxiety without a real focus. That's a tough one to argue against. Well, we've hopefully dismissed a pancreatic, liver, or gall bladder problem including cancer so what's left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Colon ? Also when yourself or a doctor evaluate things I get relief for some time until the next pain the problem
Is I think that other people live pain free. I analyse everything got example people say to me hi are you Ok mark I say I think so but I secretly think how does Anyone know without a full scan and bloods ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
When a patient comes to me and says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this," I reply, "Well, then don't do that."
I don't think we've ever talked about this but have you had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. My doc said I didn't need one I ask for all medical tests !! He says it's to much !
Do you think it's a symptom of colon ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, considering your age it is time for a screening colonoscopy to check for polyps but your symptoms don't match colon cancer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said blood in stools or diarea are the symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Blood can be--especially occult blood but that can be from polyps, too. Usually the only sign of colon cancer is pencil thin stools. So he hasn't mentioned it being time for a screening colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. At the risk of me being scared to death now should I book one ? Also I had thin stools but I'm guessing you mean consistently thin stools not a couple 3 years ago that went back to normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Didn't really want to go into the scope thing since I thought it might bother you Mark but the screening colonoscopy after age 50 is standard preventative practice. For most people it's done, everything's fine, and no need to repeat the scope for five years. And with colon cancer, once the cancer gets large enough, yes the stools are consistently very thin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm 49. Is a ct scan as good ? And can I stop worrying about this stools as it has gone back to normal width ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, bot***** *****ne here is I don't worry about you're having colon cancer so you shouldn't either Mark. As for colon cancer the scope is the best diagnostic tool but a ct with oral contrast can look for it. I'm not going to post this as an answer yet thought since I need to know if we've covered what we needed to for this page..............
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of coarse you always go beyond expectations. Bot***** *****ne here is I need to except the docs conclusions and stop analysing it tooooo faaaar !!!!
I wil go bed relax and take my doc and your expert views. You think fine. !
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Fine and if it were me Mark, I wouldn't have a care in the world except to wish I didn't have IBS. Have a good night's sleep and we'll maybe talk together another day my friend
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. For your help
Talk soon if ok with you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
More than OK with me any time my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

two perfect chestnut brown stools ---- I took 1 laxative -----constipation simple as that ???? feel fine a couple of tiny wind pains

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just a touch of constipation and nothing else Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

wouldn't have gone back to normal with 1 laxative if serious im guessing?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It wasn't serious to start with Mark and it might have gone back even without the laxative
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Feeling fine still Dr chip
A few tiny wind flutters. And I'm going to the loo ten am everyday as usual the colour is light brown. The stools are 1.5 inches wide and number 3 on the Bristol stool chart ! My doc said any brown is normal. And he said if you keep looking at it and worry about the next stool every day it will give you constipation through anxiety of the stool do you agree ?
He said if I like he can arrange a colonoscopy next year at 50.
Sees no need with these symptoms to do so now do you agree?
He said my liver and other organs were spot on the blood work tells him that and the alymase level of 129 is normal. !! Although slightly outside lab range.
If you agree il let this go and go for a run.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Agree with the any brown being normal Mark. The screening colonoscopy is just that and once you hit 50 is soon enough. Labs are fine so go for the run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How old are you Dr chip ?
You look young !! Lol bet you don't get any of this ibs stuff or ailments !!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
60 ish but don't look it. Haven't had a day off for being sick in over 30 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thought so lucky man. Do you get any little niggles ? If so do you ignore them I'm guessing if I did I'd nd fine how do you ignore small things ? Must be good to have the knowledge.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Little niggles???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wind. Slight indegestion the odd headache.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hardly ever actually. Maybe a few hours of hearburn every few months
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow. Now your just showing off !
Thanks again ol leave a bonus for replies
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care until next time Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cbt tommorow
But as you have said im healthy physically
Now for the anxiety mental health issue.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Two psychiatrists met on the street and as they passed one said, "Good day."
The other one stopped for a moment and said, "Hmm--wonder what he meant by that?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's me !! To a tea.
But you agree I'm physically ok ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Physically you're fine. And it's OK to be crazy so long as you know and admit you're crazy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lol
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Later my friend
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mate mark here
This morning I bit into my cereal after a 4 k run. And bit the side of my tongue it looks like a taste bud or something that I've hit its red and damn sore !
Before I panic what's the best plan ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Cheerio. Any bleeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No bleeding sore
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--nothing too bad there. You can use some oral anesthetic like Oragel--something with Lidocaine in it--if it's really sore. The good thing about the tongue is that it has the ability to heal without any scarring. Actually, I've bitten my tongue more than once whilst talking to you over these months and so far it hasn't fallen off and I speak just fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks mate

now my bowel has gone back great poo is 4 on the Bristol chart and dark brown !! I still get windy pangs but im guessing they are nerves !!

the only other thing I got was a weird dry skin patch can I send you aphoto? its very cold here minus 6 and I run could it be that'? just want to check its nothing serious

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sure mate--show me the pic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long has it been there and is it sore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rubbed it yesterday and it went red as I rubbed it no not sore itchy!!!and dry it has been there a day , seems to be going a bit after I put emuaid on it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Looks like a patch of inflammatory eczema--nothing serious. Try a light coating of a cortisone cream twice a day for a week
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you are a star !

so the bite on tongue thing --do you think ive caught a taste bud?? isn't serious but damn painful !

and the itchy rash thing is eczema what causes that ??

but not serious and you were spot on re the poo as usual !! genious you are

I shall pay with a bonus is that ok ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't really matter if you caught a taste bud or not--it'll heal just fine. As for what causes eczema--if I knew that I could make millions but it is more common in cold dry weather. As some other experts say--bonuses highly appreciated but you don't need to do the Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

both not serious ? now you have seen them , im guessing a few days for the tongue ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Neither serious and the tongue will take another day or two to heal Mark
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician