Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer with type one diabetes.

I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer with type one diabetes. I have had a sore throat and cough plus temperature on and off for the past three weeks but these last few days I am getting a sharp pain in my head every so often just behind my right ear. I am on methotrexate, Hydroxychloroquine, Leflunomide and Embrel injections plus of course insulin. I am drinking and eating no problems and just resting up. Is there anything else I should be doing?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Have you noticed lump behind ear?
Running nose or sore throat?
Do you have pain in swallowing?
Any discharge through ear?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No discharge through the ear, no pain in swallowing. Yes to running nose, cattah and soreish throat. There is a lump on that side of my head.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
Well, having pain behind right ear could be related with Viral flu infection.
Such, viral throat infection has caused congestion of the sinus and throat tissues. It is causing pain in throat and body ache.
Our throat is connected with ear, It can cause pain in back side of ear and sharp headache. So throat infection, can cause radiating pain towards back of ear.
To control this, please take the following steps-
1. Gargle with hot, saline water - mix 2 teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
2. Steam inhalation - Take a bowl of hot water, and put 2 tsf of salt in it. You can also put menthol in it if you have some. Inhale the steam that rises from the water.
3. Drink a glass of warm lemon juice daily.
4. You can suck on hard sweets - the saliva trickling down the throat will be soothing.
5. Take Tylenol for pain. You can start at two tablets every four to six hours as needed.
6. You should take Antihistamines like Alavert 10 mg once daily (OTC), Also take Decongestants - Sudafed 120 mg once daily(OTC) and Otrivin nasal
drops 2 drops three times daily in both nostrils(OTC).
Most likely, with such measures, you would be free from symptoms in next 3-4 days.
I wish for your good health.
Good luck and Take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.