Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

what causes dermitis

what causes dermitis
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--did you mean dermatitis and, if so, since there are several types--did you have one specific type in mind?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my g.p said my sons skin looks like dermatitis im not sure which type

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--can you describe the problem and where it's located? How old is your son and did the doctor prescribe anything for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he gets it all over him.my son is four years old.the problem started when he was 2.he has been given a sterod cream for it and some allegy relieaf medicine

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did the doctor suggest he see an allergist for testing for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no he didnt

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. There's contact dermatitis which is an allergy reaction to certain things like detergents, clothes, etc. If that's the case with him then allergy testing would be needed to see exactly what he's allergic to and if it can be avoided then the problem's solved, and, if it can't be avoided then desensitization shots are the next step. Atopic dermatitis, on the other hand, has no specific cause and usually the child will eventually grow out of that. At this point he needs either to see an allergist or a dermatologist