Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

In my previous relationship and my current one ive noticed

In my previous relationship and my current one ive noticed my problem. When i am sober im fine! when i have been drinking. i create situations and end up lashing out at my partner. i dont hit them. I pushed my current one over recently so that scared me so im getting advice before i actually do something stupid. What happend was she came in pub wither friend, me and my friends were over really drunk and i had a go at her for not coming to speak to me. Recent one was we were at a dance,she came in and never came to speak to me either. I know u cant get enough info from the but i dont have a drink problem and im actually thinking about giving it up! I aint jealous of her speaking to anyone. its like i want her to act a certain way and trying to control situations.whatever she does doesnt seem to matter.she in a no win situation. Im very confused as to whats wrong with me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, I agree that giving up drinking would be a very very good idea.

Dr. David :

if stopping drinking helps keep you from lashing out at your partner, that would be a good thing

Dr. David :

once you quit drinking and you treat this woman with more respect and attention, then she might be more willing to come and spend more time with you

Customer:

id like to know why this only happens when im drinking? i agree to stop the drinking but is this a drink problem or something deeper

Dr. David :

drinking can make you much more emotional and angry and can cause you to not think clearly.

Dr. David :

the only way to know if you have something wrong deeper is to stop drinking first

Dr. David :

you might also benefit from talking to a psychotherapist regularly about your feelings to help sort out your feelings to find out what might be wrong.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

could you please open my question to other people please

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
wanted more in depth
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How further can I help you with this question--I think you may have other questions that haven't been answered as yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to be sure that drink is the root problem,if i mess up again im scared ill lose everyone. i dont only niggle with my girlfirend but with my dad and others too but im the nicest person ever when im sober! just so needy and controlling and violent when drinking! i immediately regret it the next day and cant face anyone

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Stick with me for a while and we'll figure this out. First off--how much do you drink and how often and after one of these drinking/behavior problems do you promise either yourself or others that you'll never drink again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when there is a dance or anything on i will go to the pub mid day and drink right up to it. so i aint a alchy but if there is something on i will drink alot and leading up to that event! and yes i do promise it wont happen again and it does.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Very important here--you said above you don't have a drinking problem. Can you tell me in some detail why you think that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can stay off drink when i want. i can go to the pub for a juice if i want. I can leave it the next day if i want. I drink because i want to and not because i need to! never have i ever went to the pub cos i needed a drink. I know alchys about the place and that aint me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Then why not just give up drinking altogether if it gets you into this kind of trouble?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well yes,thats the plan but i was making sure this was the problem first. Think i knew this but was wanting a second opinion. So ur opinion is that im just a bad drunk really?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well my definition of addiction--as with alcoholism--is loss of control. Where you promise yourself either not to drink or not to drink as much and you break that promise to yourself over and over again. So basically by my definition you have a drinking problem and the best way to deal with it to start with is to lay off the alcohol. If you only have troubles when you drink or when you drink too much then giving up alcohol should solve the problem. Now I'm going to post this as an answer but I want to make sure I've fully covered your question. If I have, then please consider a positive rating for my service, but, if we still need to talk further, just say so and I'll be more than happy to spend more time with you.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.