Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I think I am perimenopausal. I have been tracking my irregular

Customer Question

I think I am perimenopausal. I have been tracking my irregular periods for a year now, my cycle can be anywhere between 25-45 days, when it used to be 30 days regularly. My blood flow is heavier, I have severe mood swings and fatigue with trouble sleeping. I am in first few days of giving up smoking as I believe this can exaggerate symptoms of perimenopause.
I wanted to see my GP for a blood test to rule out anything more serious, but cannot get an appointment for over 30 days, mid Feb earliest. In the meantime, I wanted to know which supplements to take to alleviate symptoms, but I read online that phyto-estrogens can mess with natural hormone production long term. Should I just take B complex and iron? I have seen 5-htp but don't know if this would help. Is combining supplements an issue? Thanks, Mel.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Hi Mel. I'm sorry about this problem
I would take B12 1000 mcg daily, vitamin D 2000 IU per day and you can take a low dose iron supplement
that should help you with some of these symptoms until you can see your GP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** constitutes a low dose of iron please? Also would 5-HTP be helpful?

I would not advise 5 htp. It is not helpful
the OTC iron is 65 mg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

welcome :)
have a great night :)
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)