Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I just started taking Naltrexone 25 mg, and was told to

Hi I just started taking Naltrexone 25 mg, and was told to take it when I feel an urge to drink, though I prefer to take it in the morning. Does it make me dizzy, tired? And does it prevent me from working out etc? the good feeling after having a run?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

One of the regimens for naltrexone is to take the drug regularly rather than as needed when having craving.

Most people taking the drug do not have side effects, but it is possible for the drug to cause dizziness or tiredness. In clinical studies, dizziness is reported in about 13% of patients and somnolence in about 4% of patients.

The naltrexone does not interfere with working out and does not appear to affect the good feeling after running.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so I should take Naltrexone on a regular basis?

When I prescribe naltrexone, I typically prescribe it to be taken regularly, but I cannot supersede your doctor's instructions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok and it works for 24 h?

Yes, the drug has a 24 hour duration of action.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But how to best take it in order to minimize the side effects?

If you take it less often as needed, then there is less opportunity for side effects, but that would depend upon how often that you have cravings. If you have frequent cravings, then the likelihood of side effects would be similar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok but I wonder if the side effects are the same for the entire period of 24 hours or if it wears of after some time after taking the medicine?

Regardless of whether taken regularly or as needed, side effects are most likely to happen when the drug level is peaking in the body, so about 1-2 hours after taking the drug, but there is some risk of side effects at any time while the drug is in your system.