Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am suffering with unbearable fatigue that makes me feel very

I am suffering with unbearable fatigue that makes me feel very sick and I have no appetite (I have to force myself to eat). I get constant aches in my arms and legs and they also shake uncontrollably. I have a constant dull headache and feel lightheaded a lot. I have been trying to increase my eating in case it’s due to not eating but that only makes the lightheaded feeling go away for a little bit. The shaking of my arms and legs stays. I also find with too much activity that I get short of breath and have heart palpitations.
I feel like I need to sleep all the time and even struggle to have a shower as that tires me out. I have had a full blood count and nothing was found (albeit a little low on iron but I was told by my GP that wouldn’t cause these symptoms as I am not anaemic).
What could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long exactly this has been going on?

Dr. Hasan :

:)

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I have had the symptoms on and off for years but in this case since September/October

Dr. Hasan :

Your age and gender?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

29 and female

Dr. Hasan :

Have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

yes and they were normal

Dr. Hasan :

Does your blood pressure remains normal?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I have low blood pressure that drops when I stand

Dr. Hasan :

Has he ordered any further tests for this?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

No. Was just told that I have it and nothing to worry about (it runs in my mother's side of the family)

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel the frequent urge to pass urine?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

No

Dr. Hasan :

Increased thirst?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

Yes I have been quite thirsty but assumed I just wasn't drinking enough

Dr. Hasan :

Have they checked your vitamin B12 and folate levels?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I don't believe they have checked my B12. If folate is iron they said I have a low count but not anaemic. I can't take iron pills due to stomach issues and they said it wasn't bad enough to worry about and that it wouldn't cause these symptoms

Dr. Hasan :

What is your haemoglobin level?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I don't know it off hand but was told it was normal

Dr. Hasan :

Have they referred you to some specialist after not having found the cause?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

No they told me I was just anxious

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms there are lot of things which we can think of .

Dr. Hasan :

Low iron itself can cause most of your symptoms.

Dr. Hasan :

Other things like chronic fatigue syndrome, stress, heart diseases (less likely) on going viral infections like mononucleosis can cause this as well.

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I had mono back in 2005 and have never felt 100% since

Dr. Hasan :

So there are many possibilities which should be looked for before labelling this just anxiety.

Dr. Hasan :

It is rare for mono to go this long but yes it should be considered.

Dr. Hasan :

The point is what you should do now because symptoms are still there.

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

ok

Dr. Hasan :

You should ask your doctor to refer you to an internal medicine specialist who will examine you in detail and may get further test himself if he want or may refer you to a specialist like rheumatologist, cardiologist etc depending upon what he suspects.

Dr. Hasan :

But you must get it investigated further to get a diagnosis.

Dr. Hasan :

There are so many things to check for as discussed above.

Dr. Hasan :

But don't worry you are going to be al right.

Dr. Hasan :

Needs to be checked for further causes before getting labelled with just anxiety.

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

thank you. I will take a print out of this to my GP tonight and get them to look into this further

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

I have been telling them for years that I want them to investigate it further

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Best thing will be to go to internal medicine specialist.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes they must investigate you further.

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

thank you

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

JACUSTOMER-bu1vxpiv- :

No that is all, thank you

Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery