Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Whilst playing cricket I damaged a muscle (I assume) to the

Whilst playing cricket I damaged a muscle (I assume) to the rear top part and on the inner side of my right leg. When it happened it was a sharp pain which gradually got slightly worse.
I did not play again for 3 weeks but when I did I stretched down to pick up the ball and felt the same muscle pull agains this time with a worse pain and I could not stretch down.
Following this second injury I also experienced pain in my right buttock especially when sitting down.
This occured approximately 4 months ago and whilst the pain is not so bad I still suffer with a dull and sometimes uncomfortable ache to the rear inner part of my leg and buttock.
Any idea of what I might have done and whether rest is the only cure.
John Barber
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

Based on your description, you likely injured the nerve coming out of the lower lumbar spine.

Dr Basu :

This is akin to sciatica.

Dr Basu :

The nere injury related pai will radiate like the way you mentioned.

Dr Basu :

This will also affect the muscles supplied by the nerve.

Dr Basu :

L4 nerve root is likely affected

Dr Basu :

The healing takes several weeks.

Dr Basu :

Complete rest is not rcommended as that weaknes the back and hip muscles delaying the recovery process.

Dr Basu :

Instead, we suggest starting a guided physical therapy program to help you recover faster.

Dr Basu :

Physical therapy focuses on strengthening the musecles, releasing the pressure on the injured nerve.

Dr Basu :

You should also take anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times a day with food.

Dr Basu :

Please do see your GP for a clinical evaluation and also referring to a Physical thrapy program.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes and Happy and Prosperous New Year,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/