Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I was diagnosed with NERD seven years ago, where |I lost a

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with NERD seven years ago, where |I lost a lot of weight as I was afraid to eat, however, after many test which proved negative my Doctor prescribed citilipram and Nexiumfor two or three months then changed to lansaprazole, I improved rapidly and was fine for a further three years, when it happened again, but that time I tried to eat and recovered after three months.
I had the acid burning in my stomach early last year, I had a gastrophscopy which proved normal, apart from the helicobacter which was positive and was treated with antibiotics and Nexium, I also had an endoscopy, which was fine except for a polyp. also a barium meal in my small intestine which was also fine,together with blood tests which were also fine.
Recently in October I have had a my right hip replaced, and I am now waiting for a further operation to replace my left hip, and I am suffering with anxiety and depression, for which I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 45mg, I once again started with the acid Reflux around six weeks ago, I consulted my ~Doctor, who has now put me on Nexium x 2 and Ranitidine x1 at night, it seems to be taking some time to settle down, and once again I have lost the weight, as for two to three weeks, I could hardly eat anything.
I am now starting to eat better, but I still have this uncomfortable feeling after I have eaten, Please can you tell me How long it could be before it will settle down ? I have now been on the nexium x2 almost three weeks.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

It is reassruing that your gastroscopy and barium swallow test were normal.

Dr Basu :

You likely have severe acid relfux problem.

Dr Basu :

Nexium dose should be at least 40 mg daily.

Dr Basu :

The symptoms will improve over 6 weeks.

Dr Basu :

However, we also suggesting adding Ranitidine 300 mg before bedtime daily along with nexium for better acid supprssion.

Dr Basu :

i see you started at but make sure it is 300 mg ranitidine daily

Dr Basu :

Also another medication can be added to help with your symptoms.

Dr Basu :

Domperidone can be added 10 mg 2 times daily along with these medications.

Dr Basu :

Please also watch your your diet.

Dr Basu :

You should void any caffeine, alcohol, spicy food.

Dr Basu :

Also low fat diet is desirable.

Dr Basu :

Avoid acidic foods.

Dr Basu :

You should consider following low fermentable sugar diet ( FODMAP diet) to reduce your symptoms.
Please go to this link for detailed information:
http://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf

Please also include prebiotics like Inulin daily to keep your colon acidic which prevent gas producing bacteria.
Also take a probiotic ( lactobacilli, bifidobacterium) daily.

JACUSTOMER-r5u3ohcx- :

I have been doing all these things,with the exception of Domperidone, which I believe is fro emptying the stomach quicker?

Dr Basu :

that is correct

Dr Basu :

and that will usually help since these medications are taking time to control your symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-r5u3ohcx- :

I am concerned as to me diet as I do not want to lose any more weight, My doctor has referred me to a dietcicin, is it possible that the ant -depressants can contribute to my acid?

Dr Basu :

that is possible

Dr Basu :

however you are on medications for acid control.

Dr Basu :

Should not be that significant

JACUSTOMER-r5u3ohcx- :

Yes ! I was just concerned how long it would take to settle down. I thank you for your time, and reply.

Dr Basu :

very welcome

Dr Basu :

it will settle down but be patient for at least 6 weeks.

Dr Basu :

Domperidone should be added

Dr Basu :

Best wishes and Happy and Prosperous New Year,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/