Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a case of smegma about a year ago! Went to the doctors

I had a case of smegma about a year ago! Went to the doctors did as they said, washed it thoroughly every night. However i started noticing when it cleared up it turned into little warts under the foreskin mainly on my banjo. Its slowly started to get worse. Ive always had std tests and never had anything? Why has it come up and how do i clear them?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Are you worried about the smegma or the warts?

Customer:

The warts as tthe smegama

Customer:

Smegma has now gone

Dr Uzair :

Sure, are you sexually active?

Customer:

Yes i am

Dr Uzair :

Do the warts go away or do they stay there once you get them?

Customer:

They stay, only small but spread more over last few months

Dr Uzair :

Can you attach a picture here?

Customer:

Wont let me send it?

Dr Uzair :

Can you attach it on a photo site like photobucket.com

Customer:

Its on braithwaite95

Dr Uzair :

can you send me a link?

Customer:

http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/braithwaite95/media/IMAG0132_zps3040d46d.jpg.html?filters[user]=142318753&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Dr Uzair :

These look like viral warts.

Dr Uzair :

If they are not going away then you should consult a Dermatologist for these. They either be removed by shave and burn, cryotherapy or surgery.

Customer:

How long does that normally take? Plus how much does it cost?

Dr Uzair :

You can also try putting on Salicylic Acid wart remover.

Dr Uzair :

Cost depends on which procedure you are having and where you are getting it done from. The procedures are day care and rapid. Down time is not more than a couple of days.

Dr Uzair :

And they are safe.

Customer:

Where can i get the salicylic acid from? Plus can i pass these on to someone else?

Dr Uzair :

Viral warts are contagious so as long as you have sexual intercourse while they are present.

Customer:

So i could've passed these onto my girlfriend? How do they come about?

Dr Uzair :

Viral warts can appear at any time, at any age, usually depending on the person's immunity. A person might have contracted them in their teenage and the warts may appear say, 10 to 20 years later.

Dr Uzair :

There's really no time limit and one can not predict how and when the warts will appear.

Customer:

Are they anything to drastically worry about?

Dr Uzair :

Not really, but you need to see a Dermatologist as soon as you can.

Customer:

I work away a lot, home on monday night so will there be one at my local doctors/medical centre?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, I am sure there will be. Or you can get a referral.

Customer:

Thats okay, how long after the treatment is it until sexual contact is safe?

Dr Uzair :

Again, depends on the treatment you have, but not longer than a week.

Customer:

Thats brilliant thankyou, my girlfriend has seen them, but we didnt know what it was at the time. Should i tell her to get it checked out? As shes had no symptoms or sign?

Dr Uzair :

No need to yet. First of all, you need to be seen. The diagnosis needs to be confirmed.

Dr Uzair :

If your Girl friend does not have symptoms then there isn't any need to get checked.

Customer:

Okay thankyou, just on estimate whats the price range for the treatment

Dr Uzair :

I have no idea about the price range in the UK.

Dr Uzair :

It shouldn't cost more than 100 pounds.

Customer:

No worries thats great thankyou! How long is a standand procedure?

Dr Uzair :

Cryotherapy should take 15 - 20 minutes.

Dr Uzair :

Shave and burn - the same amount of time.

Dr Uzair :

Salicylic acid takes longer and people are less compliant with it since it requires frequent application.

Customer:

Does it hurt or sting?

Dr Uzair :

Very much tolerable. Sting - Yes, but for a while.

Dr Uzair :

Can be done under local anesthesia.

Customer:

I thought so, which one would you recommend if they are small but mainly under the head of the penis?

Dr Uzair :

I think, they can be taken care of my shave and burn as well as by cryotherapy.

Dr Uzair :

Your dermatologst can guide you better since, s/he would have a live view of the lesions.

Customer:

Thankyou. As im away quite often how easy/hard would it be to see/get an appointment with one to get it off?

Dr Uzair :

You can set up the appointment according to your own schedule, I guess. But since, its an office procedure I am sure it will work out fine even with a busy schedule like yours.

Customer:

Would you say if i rang first thing tomorrow i could have an appointment by this tuesday? Hard to answer but i dont know how long you normally have to wait

Dr Uzair :

I don't want to disperse wrong information, I really do not know how it works in the UK.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have more queries?

Customer:

Will it ever come back after the treatment? How successful is the treatment normally?

Dr Uzair :

Warts have a tendency to recur.

Dr Uzair :

Again, the nature of the beast is so unpredictable that they can come back at any age or any time.

Customer:

Okay thankyou, if i notice them recur i'll get the cream straight away. Thankyou

Dr Uzair :

My pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.