DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My elderly friend has rheumatoid arthritis & osteoporosis.

My elderly friend has rheumatoid arthritis & osteoporosis. She broke her finger about 4 months ago and subsequent inept medical treatment has resulted in her being in constant pain and inability touse the finger properly. She has sufferered through a bothched surgery to insert and then remove a pin; not to mention the inevitable infections. This would be part due to the fact that her immune system is very low. Given the complications which arise with the treatment of her underlying condition, is there anything that could be done to relieve the pain and/or restore her finger to a reseaonable level of functionality?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
That depends
What does the x ray show
What do you mean botched?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The x-ray showed that there was a broken bone in the knuckle and that the bone tissue is very soft. The term 'botched' refers to the initial ED treatment and a subsequenct visit. Its relavence is no long significant.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
So are we talking about non-fused bone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
She needs first of all to see a specialist MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation. This doctor will address splinting needed, physical therapy needed, electronic stimulation, etc.
That is key and essential.
Also needs to have maximal therapy for osteoporosis and RA, but this doctor is an MD and can easily coordinate that with her other doctors.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.