Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I was told by the hospital that I had a mild stroke fifteen

Customer Question

I was told by the hospital that I had a mild stroke fifteen weeks ago but when a brain scan was done there was nothing showed on it but I have still weakness all down my left side and get tried very easy can u tell me have I had a stroke or is it something else as nothing showed up on the ct scan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. How long was it from the time you started to have stroke symptoms until the scan was done and have you only had the one scan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was about six or seven weeks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sheela. Have you seen a neurologist about this? And have you had any other testing like an MRI of your spine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I only had the ct scan and a scan of my neck done but by left side isn't get ing any better and my left arm starts to get very heavy as the day goes on
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sheela. A scan done early after possible stroke symptoms wouldn't necessarily show the stroke in the brain, but if your scan was done six weeks later after your symptoms began then, no, you haven't had a stroke. The symptoms you describe could also mean you have a spinal problem--probably one or more ruptured disks in your cervical spine or something called spinal stenosis--a narrowing of the spinal canal pressing on the spinal cord. At this point you need to see a neurologist for further evaluation and an MRI of your neck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What that cause weakness to all my left side and my balance not being great I have a limp on the left side now also get very tried and cannt stand for to long I haven't been able to go back to work and it is really getting me down as I am not getting any answers as last year they also found fluid round my heart but again nothing has been done about this and I have influmion round my lungs
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well most of that could still be from a spinal problem Sheela but if you're also very tired you need to be checked for anemia, low thyroid, low cortisol levels, vitamin D deficiency, and vitamin B12 deficiency