Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

there, im experiencing a very extreme spacey feeling in

Customer Question

Hi there, im experiencing a very extreme spacey feeling in my head. Its like im sitting but im not really here.its really scaring me please help?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
What, if any, evaluation has been done for this?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had a general blood work up, blood pressure checked, pulse checked. Urine analysis and checked behind my eyes. All were fine. What do you think it is?

It is impossible to say what it is without a proper evaluation.

There are a number of neurologic, metabolic, and psychologic problems that can cause a spacey feeling. If you informed your doctor of these symptoms, the exam should have included a pertinent neurologic exam and the blood work-up would usually include tests for the possible metabolic causes, such as liver dysfunction, thyroid disease, electrolyte abnormalities, and certain vitamin deficiencies.

If the medical evaluation has excluded the various neurologic and metabolic causes, then it would suggest that there is a psychologic cause, such as anxiety or depression.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did ive informed the doctor and they advised anxiety. Just struggling to believe its that.

Are any of the problems above life threatening?

I just feel so awful

If your doctor diagnosed anxiety, then the other possible neurologic and metabolic conditions must have been excluded. Anxiety certainly can make people feel awful.

Yes, some of the possible causes are life threatening, but they would have been apparent on the blood tests.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which ones would be life threatening? I want to check these have been done?

If the liver dysfunction, thyroid disease, or electrolyte abnormalities are more severe, they can be life threatening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im pregnant aswell so had lots of tests related to that done. Would these have shown up in these?

Im 27 years old also whats the chances of me having one of these?

At 27, the chances that you could have any life threatening illness is very small. But if such a disease is present, the blood tests would have shown it, even if you are pregnant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So do you think it is anxiety? Can it make me feel like im so so ill and dying? I feel so so strange its unreal. Its like im just not here. Like im only vaguely hete. It feels as if im nearly dead

Since you cannot tell me what evaluation was done, I cannot confirm that the other medical conditons have been excluded, but it certainly sounds like your doctor has excluded them. And once these other conditions are excluded, it is correct to diagnose anxiety as the cause of the symptoms. Yes, anxiety can make you feel this bad. Anxiety can even cause symptoms that mimic heart attacks and strokes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its just there 24 hours a day with no relief ive felt like this for 3 weeks now.

Would the other conditions have othet symptoms aswell as the spaciness? This is the only symptom i have

They might, but they also might present with spaciness alone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think im going to die?

No, as it would have shown on the lab tests if there were anything life threatening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im worried now since you said i could have something bad with just spaciness.

My doctor said anything life threatening would have other symptoms

Yes, but I also said that it would have shown on lab work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So are you sure im not going to die?

I have already answered that question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im just feeling really scared and want some reassurance. I feel really scared now incase these tests wernt done. My doctors is closed now till monday too so cant get in touch

There is not much else that I can say. It makes sense that your doctor would have done the proper evaluation, but I cannot confirm that without further information. If you do not trust your doctor, then it would be OK to see another physician elsewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did but im in doubt now coz they never mentioned these conditions and also said id have more symptoms. Im now feeling really really scared

If they do any evaluation to exclude these conditons, then there is no reason to mention these conditions. If you do not trust your doctor, then see another doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are making me so anxious, should i not trust a doctor? They should have all the relevant qualifications surely

It is not me that is making you anxious; you are making yourself anxious. I did not say that you should not trust your doctor. I trust your doctor - that is why I said what I said above. But you are the one that says that you are scared that your doctor did not check the proper tests, which means that you are the one that does not trust your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What i mean is about the conditions. My doctor said anything serious would not present spaciness. It would present other symptoms. But you said they can be there with just spaciness

But you are ignoring that I also said that it would show on blood tests. So you are making yourself anxious by only hearing the information that feeds your anxiety.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know but is this correct that spaciness can only be present if a serious illness?

Yes, but not in your case, since the blood tests were normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well why did my doctor say no to this? Is it the liver dysfunction where spaciness can only be present alone?

I have provided over a dozen answers and there has not yet been a positive rating. If you wish to discuss this further, then there would need to be a positive rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It says on this site you can ask until satisfied.

I just want to ask my questions please?

I have answered your original question. It is not the intent of JustAnswer that you can ask an infinite number of questions without providing recompense. I am willing to continue providing additional information, but I need to see that there is definitely going to be compensation for the amount of time that I am spending.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok now can you provide a list of the conditions that may only have spaciness alone?

Any of the conditions that I mentioned can have spaciness as a sole symptom. Of course, spaciness means different things to different people, but people can complain of spaciness as a sole symptom with any of the conditions that I noted above. It is true that other symptoms will usually be present, but it is possible that they can present with spaciness alone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How long would these take to kill you?

Is it normally quite quick?

No, it usually takes years for them to get to such severity that they would be life threatening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So they wouldnt kill me within 3 weeks of having the symptoms?

Do you think im going to be ok?

Is there any other physical condition it could be that could kill me quick?

No, it would not kill you within 3 weeks of onset of symptoms.

I have already told you that I think you are OK.

No, there is no other condition that could kill you quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So i should last the weekend?

Nothing will happen to me in that short space of time?

Yes, you should last much longer than the weekend. Nothing will happen in that time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could fatigue make me feel so so ill like im dying and spaced out?

It would depend upon the cause of the fatigue. Fatigue can be a symptom of the other conditions that are noted above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well my mind is constantly worrying 24 hours, im not sleeping properly either as i so worried how im feeling

Anxiety certainly can cause fatigue by this mechanism, which will also contribute to the spaciness. The spaciness can occur with anxiety even without the sleep disturbance, but the sleep disturbance may exacerbate the spaciness.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im so scared of how i feel Is that making me worse?

I cant see a way past it

Yes, as being scared can make the anxiety worse, and consequently the spaciness, sleep disturbance, and fatigue can be worse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just feel so spaced out and not here. I feel so so so ill and like im.only vaguely here.

How can i improve this?

I cant do anything or think of anything else

You need to treat the anxiety, which during pregnancy will usually be first treated with referral to a therapist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im already on sertraline.

I just feel so ill. Can It really make me this Ill?

This question has already been answered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It makes me feel lIke I need hOsPItal Is that nOrmal?

Nothing about anxiety is normal, but it can happen with anxiety.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think i need hospital?

No.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IS there any meds i can take to reduce spaciness?

When spaciness occurs from anxiety, the meds would be anxiety medicines, but your doctor will be cautious since you are pregnant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeh they are they cant give me alot so is their anything i can do to reduce this without the meds?

See a therapist, as I said above.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im doing that also.

Will it go away? Im convinced ill either be stuck with it or ill die

Only time will tell. Anxiety is chronic in some people and limited in others.