Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I been ill couple of days with a bad cough it started

Customer Question

hi I been ill for a couple of days with a bad cough it started to make my chest painful and also got a sharp pain back of throat and stuffy nose is it just a normal cold or some sort of infection. it is hard to swallow my drink as well not too bad with food ha
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this is most likely a viral infection. From a terminology perspective, a "cold" refers to a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract, which can have some cough from drainage or mild congestion in the chest. But if the virus is primarily infecting the airways of the lungs, it would more properly be called a viral bronchitis. When a cough is the predominant feature along with chest pain, it would be more likely to be a viral bronchitis.

It is also possible that a virus can infect the lining around the lung, which can cause more intense chest pain that is worse with taking a deep breath. This would be called pleurisy or a viral pleuritis.

It is important to note that a bronchitis in a non-smoker is almost always a viral infection. Even in a smoker, it would be most likely a virus at age 24, although with more years of smoking, a bacterial bronchitis becomes a possibility.

It is also possible to have a pneumonia, which can cause a cough, although there usually would be other symptoms, such as shortness of breath.

At this point, it is reasonable to manage it as a viral infection with symptomatic relief, getting plenty of rest, and drinking plenty of fluids.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.