Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my son was diagnosed a few years ago with ulcerative colitis

my son was diagnosed a few years ago with ulcerative colitis he was told he had a mega colon. however for the last 2 years he has coped with it pretty well but at the moment he seems to be in a lot of pain and feeling bloated. he can not go to our out of hours surgery because he is in London at the moment. He is taking asacol 400mg at the moment but it sounds like he needs prednisolone and azathioprine again. he doesn't want to go to A&E so do you have any advice for him.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Is he taking the Asacol 400 mg three times per day?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

You are correct that it would be better for him to be seen and consideration of the use of steroids and azathioprine. However, if he is in a situation where he cannot be seen, then another option would be the use of a higher dose of Asacol. For control of active disease the Asacol can be used at doses of 800 mg three times per day, and even up to 1.6 grams (or 1600 mg) three times per day, and then revert to a lower dose again for maintenance. When the higher dose is used, it is usually provided as two Asacol HD three times daily. The studies have been done at using the higher dose for up to 6 weeks, but not longer.

So, if he cannot be seen, he could consider the use of a higher dose of the Asacol, at two pills three times daily and contact his doctor at the earliest opportunity.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.