Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Over a week ago I was diagnosed with radial nerve palsy. My

Customer Question

Over a week ago I was diagnosed with radial nerve palsy. My GP hasn't given me any advice RE: exercising the arm, splint ect what do I do for recovery? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--first off what are your symptoms? And how was the diagnosis made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Symptoms are numbness in upper and lower arm. pins and needles in hand. very little use of hand and arm. I can touch and feel with the fingers. if I move around a lot I feel sick. If I stretch the arm it hurts at the middle. the upper arm will also ache. Diagnosis, proding the arm using stick/tool and saying if I could feel it or if it tingled.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Collette was any trauma involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I woke up realising I had slept on it and thought it was just pins and needles, until I realised it more serious. I cant drive, cook, ect I am unable to control direction of The lower part of the arm and wrist.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Collete--and we can continue after this if you'd like but for now you need an elbow brace and I would have given you a cortisone injection at the elbow. But as far as what really needs to be done now--you need an MRI of the elbow to see if the nerve is entrapped and you need to be referred to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for hands on physical therapy to resolve this problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. Should I contact my GP to discuss these options and be referred to hospital?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--you need to call him and tell him what I've told you Collette. This needs action right away. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. how do I get back to you after ive spoken to my GP?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This page will still stay open after your rate my service but you can also start a new page using this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-doctorchip
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be contacting my GP tomorrow, meanwhile should I be moving the hand/arm at all or completing relaxing it? thank you

Just bathing/washing hair is a huge effort and the arm aches afterwards.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Collette for how you can gently move the arm but hopefully you can get an elbow brace today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I assuming this will be a long recovery. how can I take care of the rest of my body? I normally exercise 5 times a week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes this will take a while Collette. Any exercising that doesn't involve the arm itself is fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What type of exercises can I do? my normal ones all seem to need the arm, crunches, planks, squats. thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Walking, jogging, anything that doesn't involve that arm itself.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure--any time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to ask my GP if I can use Slender tone EMS for my abs, wasn't sure if this would affect my arm at all? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's fine Collette
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great. thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any time Carrie but don't forget the rating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's Collette lol

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--my bad