Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

good morning, i suffer from a really overactive tummy, and

good morning, i suffer from a really overactive tummy, and over the course of time it seems to be getting worse, to the point where it now wakes me up in the morning and i have to rush to the toilet, and can often have to do that up to 4 or 5 times. i find myself getting up at silly o clock in the morning just so i have enough time to get ready for the day, and often worry about leaving the house, as when the urge comes i have to rush to the loo. i also find that if i have been on a night out or eaten something spicy that it feels a bit like i am passing broken glass through my lower tummy and it feels really sore. Any idea what this could be? I have always been windy, and anxiety also seems to make it worse.....though severe anxiety also can make me throw up. Thanksyou!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

good morning!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Good morning

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the symptom that is bothering you the most at the moment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this as yet? On any medications for anything?

Customer:

the fact that i have to dive out of bed or drop everything and rush for the toilet when the urge comes, normally accompanied by quite a lot of pain.......it is making it difficult for me to leave the house :-( but it is normally only first thing i nthe morning, after i have been to the toilet several times i am normally ok for the rest of the day

Customer:

i went to the doctors about it once and he told me i have probably got piles but did not examine me, i felt like i was wasting his time

Customer:

and no i am not on any medications

Dr. Shahzad MD :

For how long has this been going on?

Customer:

a few years now but it seems to be getting steadily worse and is affecting my day to day life more

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With the symptoms that you are mentioning, particularly since you also have anxiety, you most likely have what is called as IBS.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you heard of that?

Customer:

i thought it may be ibs. but i didnt want to self diagnose!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes IBS is the most likely diagnosis.

Customer:

the anxiety seems to be cause and effect

Customer:

can i do anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need to also have your anxiety treated as well with SSRIs that can help control your symptoms better

Dr. Shahzad MD :

SSRIs like escitalopram can help with your anxiety and IBS symptoms.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Librax is very commonly used as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Librax is something that helps with anxiety and the pain as well.

Customer:

i hope so, i currently work offshore so always have a toilet close by but i think if i swapped to a normal 9 to 5 shore job, which i want to do, it would have a much greater impact. should i ask my doctor about these?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes you should ask your doctor about these.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that medications can help greatly with your IBS. Also, counseling also helps greatly.

Customer:

ok i shall make an appointment as soon as i get home.....silly question as i know this is just answer uk, but these are avilable in the uk?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes you should definitely make an appointment and be seen.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The most likely diagnosis however is IBS.

Customer:

i have tried counselling, i dont get on with it so well i tmakes me more anxious!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If counseling does not help then you need to be on medications.

Customer:

ok thankyou! what about food?!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just try eating a healthy diet.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Try to avoid things that make you feel worse.

Customer:

so all the fun things then :-( ok thankyou!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards

Customer:

i will, thankyou for your time! have a lovely day :-)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Most welcome :)

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine