Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I would like to get your professional opinion on a couple of

I would like to get your professional opinion on a couple of things.
Not sure if this is all one thing or if there a number of things going on.
I will list them out as that is easier.
1) Glands under chin seem to always enlarged, not massively but it seems a constant thing, when they were last up had blood tests did not show anything, about 4 months ago
2) Back pain in lower back constant and no apparent reason
3) Pain in the middle of the back which doesn't feel like muscle ache, thought kidney pain.
4) Stiff neck constantly for no apparent reason
5) Pain in right side of neck which travels from right ear down to top of chest.
6) Pain in throat, but not the normal sore throat pain, located off centre from adams apple.
7) Recently had jaw ache too.
Sorry its a list but feel i should tell you all the symptoms in case they are linked.
Can you shed some light at all?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. First off what blood tests have you had and have you had any MRI's of your spine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From memory it was full bloods

I had an MRI on my spine about 6months ago for something else which showed a slight distortion which they thought could have been an arachnoid cyst but it wasn't butting any pressure on my spinal cord at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mark but full bloods is a somewhat vague term--where these checked-thyroid function, an autoimmune screening, EBV viral titers, vitamin D levels, and did your doctor have any comments on your symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, yes all the above were conducted and seemed normal.

The only explanation they had was some sort of virus, seems weird how this can last 6 months or more.

Also forgot to mention a pain under my arm sometime with no presence of a lump or anything.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mark. Did you also have a mono spot test for mononucleosis. and just to be sure about the autoimmune screen--that included antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate and C reactive protein?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes they all sound familiar, i do remember there being a long list of things they tested.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And so far as you know there were no abnormalities in any of the tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's right none at all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Mark. My one thought here, then, would be fibromyalgia which basically is a diagnosis of exclusion--made when other possible diagnoses are ruled out. There is no specific test for fibromyalgia unfortunately. At this point I would refer you to a rheumatologist for further blood work to fully rule out an autoimmune problem and to make the conclusive diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Medications for that would include Lyrica, amitriptyline, and Celexa
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so a bit like chronic fatigue?

Would that explain the pain in the throat area too?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
They are related but usually with chronic fatigue syndrome there's an elevated titer of EBV. But fibromyalgia would cover all your symptoms
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so how do you think i should proceed.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As I said above, my next step would be to refer you to a rheumatologist for further evaluation so you need to ask your doctor about that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you very much i will do.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Mark but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you