Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

i m 26 year old healthy male.. lately i developed slight

HI i m 26 year old healthy male.. lately i developed slight pain in my right testes intially i thought it was due to groin injury because of playing basketball.. i was scared and met a urologist he did ultrasound test and said i have a grade 1 varicocele. i occasionally feel a dull pain near my left testes.. my urologist said that 90 out of 100 have this problem and i need not to worry..i m really scared and confused please help me..i m afraid i cant have kids
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Ken :

Ken :

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today

Ken :

Can you give me ultrasound report?

Ken :

Do you have any associated symptoms apart from dull pulling sensation or pain?

Ken :

I do understand your anxiety. Please calm down. Let me explain it.

Ken :

Testis and epididymis are surrounded by multiple small venous channels.

Customer:

my report says it has multiple dilated veins of 2-3mm and has a reversal of flow when valsalva maneur is done

Ken :

These veins or channels have small valves within them which avoids blood to accumulate within them.

Customer:

all others are normal it says

Ken :

These valves may get damaged causing stagnant blood within these channels.

Ken :

The normal size of these veins is less than 2 mm. On Valsalva there is no reversal.

Ken :

BUT

Ken :

In many individuals the size may be as large as 4 mm. Reversal indicates Variecocele.

Ken :

I would worry if the diameter of these channels increase more than 5 mm OR

Ken :

if there is thrombosis of the channels.

Customer:

oh

Ken :

This leads to abnormal blood flow to the testis leading to

Customer:

can u wait for sometime please

Ken :

scarring of the testis and this causes reduced sperm production

Customer:

i m at work i ll come back in 10 min

Ken :

Yes sure.

Ken :

I will change the format to Q and A from chat.

Ken :

You can respond to me from there later.

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi can we chat now please

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I can not shift the format now. But You can ask the questions here and I will answer them for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this is not fair i m at work and i told u i ll get back to you. you said ok but now you are saying u cant change the format

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
You can ask multiple questions till you are satisfied. There is no limit to the questions. I am sorry for the technical issue :(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

dont say its an issue u did it.. anyways.. i feel that slight dull pain.above my left testes.is my urologist is right as he says its nothing to worry . i dont know whether hes trying to comfort me.hes a good doctor but i searching too much about this in google and getting scared....

question number 1 :

i have grade 1 varicocele will it get worse? if it stays like this can i become a father..

question 2:

wat could be the possible causes.. should i get a second opinion should i see some other urologist

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I changed the format as the chat window closes off in few minutes and I thought you may need more time reaching home. It is not technically possible for me to change from this format to chat format again. Anyway I am again sorry for it and trouble you faced due to it.
Grade I variecocele does not cause significant reduction in blood supply to the testis and hence there is no increased temperature of the testis/ scarring or no reduced sperm production. In nutshell this will not cause infertility for sure.
Most of the times there are no serious symptoms and hence no treatment is needed. However if the feeling of heaviness is altering your daily routine than treatment may be advisable.
Not all males with variecocele {even grade 3} develop infertility. Hence If I were you I would not get scared and move ahead in life.
Next step - get ultrasound may be once a year to look for any change in severity of the varicocele.
Best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much ken...

i dont feel any heaviness or shrinkage in testes, i know its too early but still.i dont have any..what are the symptoms that i should look out for..report says both my testes are noramal volume..

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Normal volume of testis relieves me :)
You need to look for following symptoms - Swelling at the scrotum/ Pain or significant heaviness/ small testis/ difficulty in urination.
Best
Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
Do consider to rate my answer.
:)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i ll rate. but do you think its serious..?

Expert:  Ken replied 2 years ago.
No I do not think it is serious. It will not be the cause of infertility for sure.
You just need to look for symptoms and get an ultrasound {once a year}.
Good Luck