Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have many symptoms suggesting an under active thyroid.My

I have many symptoms suggesting an under active thyroid.
My readings for TSH in nov 14 were 4.91 and 6.34 in jan 15. T4 was10.00
My platelet count in jan 15 was down to 56 after 79 in nov.
should I be on medication for thyroid now?
could this be connected to low platelet count?
I am seeing a hematologist on 14th feb 15
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I will address your concern separately.
Yes you should be on thyroid medication. You should see your doctor, preferably an endocrinologist who will ascertain the cause of your high TSH and will treat accordingly. But yes TSH is significantly high and needs treatment.
Could this be connected to low platelet count?
Not necessarily but yes this can be connected. There are autoimmune diseases which can affect thyroid as well as they can affect the platelet counts. Although diseases causing low TSH are more likely to be related to platelet disorders. One such example is the relation between graves disease of thyroid and low platelet count. In short, yes there is a slight possibility of connection between the two which should be ruled out. Your doctor should get your further tests like peripheral smear of blood and bone marrow biopsy to check for the cause of low platelet count.
I hope this helps you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards