Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 10 year old son has had vomiting lAck of appetite and constipation

My 10 year old son has had vomiting lAck of appetite and constipation over the last two days. He still has,pain over right illiac fossa. Saw paed dr today in Mumbai who says it is just constipation. Son slightly better in himself - is still constipated and still has sharp pain in same place. What to do??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--did the doctor do any blood work like a white cell count? Any fever with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, he did nothing but Palpate my son's stomach. No bloods. As my son had eaten barely anything in 48 hours - or passed a stool (too painful to.push), Dr said he was just constipated and it is not appendicitis. Low grade fever, just over 37.8 degrees.Vomited 3 times after complaining of stomach ache two days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sheila. I think in a case like this appendicitis has to be considered and looked for which would include a white count to see if it's elevated and a ct scan of the abdomen with contrast. There is something called mesenteric adenitis which is an inflammation of the lymph nodes near the appendix and that can mimic appendicitis. Simple constipation just wouldn't cause all the symptoms you mentioned. At this point I wouldn't give him any more laxatives and suppositories. Unless he is much better by tomorrow he needs to see the doctor again and get blood work and the ct scan.