Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have been diagnosed with acute rhinitis which I have had

I have been diagnosed with acute rhinitis which I have had for about 3 years. I have lost my sense of taste and smell for most of the year - the only relief I get is by taking steroids for short periods of time such as holidays. I have tried sprays such as Nasonex which don't appear to work - I tried continual use for a year or more. I also suffer from wheezing and a crackling sound when trying to sleep at nights? Any help or advice appreciated.
Graham
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to this rhinitis. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
The symptoms you are having is most probably due to non allergic rhinitis.
Often, what causes nonallergic rhinitis is unknown.
You need physical examination by your ENT doctor.Transillumination (shining a light through the sinuses) is used to look for sinus inflammation.Also tests may be done rule out any allergen or allergy as the cause of these symptoms.
Treatment options include avoiding things that cause an allergy, an antihistamine nose spray, antihistamine tablets and a steroid nose spray.
-Afrin is a brand of nasal spray used to ease nasal congestion that is available over-the-counter.The generic name for this medication is Oxymetazoline hydrochloride.
-Neti pot will help you greatly .It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away crusting in the nasal passages.
-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
Take decongestant like pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which reduce the swelling of the mucous membranes in the nose.
If still the symptoms persists then you need to make an appointment with your ENT doctor for examination & evaluation.Anti histamines,antibiotics & nasal decongestants will be prescribed to you accordingly for great relief.Also broncho dialator drugs may be added as you have wheezing and cracking sounds.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert