Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm am really worried. Went to GP in November as bowels

Hi I'm am really worried. Went to GP in November as bowels not working properly and thought I was constipated with piles as losing mucus and blood . GP said I don't have piles but skin tags. Anyway they referred me for a flexible on 10th December - bowels were working better and nothing showed up - they said looked all normal. Over Xmas smoked cigarettes instead of my e-cig and was pooping loads and was normal poop. I also didn't take Fybogel for a short period. Went back on Fybogel and things worsened. Lower ab stinging/cramping pains and poops were alternating to being normal for 1st although small, to poops surrounded in dark brown mucus. Went back to GP last Thursday who said take two Fybogel, but I itook one for three days. I also stopped the e-cig the following day and went back to normal cigs (roll ups) Things got worse again so back to GP on this Monday and he said stop the Fybogel as and they've referred me for another flexible sigmoidscopy. My poop yesterday was two normal and then small poop mixed with thick dark stool. Went around 6 times. Today I have had two poops both with small amount of poop and when I look I'm sure there is blood in the thick brown stuff around poop. When I remove the brown stuff my poop looks normal colour. I have taken a photo this morning of what came out of me. I feel really anxious today as getting so worried.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is the blood that you are seeing bright red blood or dark blood?
Are you having any black, tarry stools?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I send a pic of poop? If I move it around it appears to have red blood I think
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't say black tarry. Just before I need to poop I get lower left ab pain that feels like wind/stinging. Sometimes the pain goes after sometimes it stays
Yes, you can attach a picture to a reply within this post using the icon that looks like a paper clip.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This one I used the flash on my phone camera ....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sent two pictures of the same poop - hope you have got them

Yes, I received both sets of pictures.

The blood in these pictures appears to be dark red in color. When blood in the stool is bright red, it typically is coming from lower in the colon, but when the blood is dark red in color, it typically is coming from higher in the colon.

There are many possible causes of bleeding associated with the symptoms that you describe. The most worrisome would be a cancer in the colon, but it also could be due to bleeding from a diverticula (probably the most common in this situation), a vascular abnormality, or inflammation of the colon. In this situation, I would typically refer the patient for a colonoscopy, rather than a flexible sigmoidoscopy, as a colonoscopy would provide a more thorough evaluation of the colon.

So, it is most likely that this is a benign condition, but it is appropriate to pursue further evaluation to make a definite diagnosis.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. So why when I had the flexible on 10th December 2014 did they say I was healthy. Also why was my poops normal for a bi then have gone like this. Only yesterday I had two normal poops (no blood or mucus) and then early afternoon changed to the consistency as shown?

The flexible sigmoidoscope will only examine the lower colon, and that portion of the colon appeared normal on the sigmoidoscopy.

Symptoms can be episodic, both the altered stools and the bleeding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you again. I am going for the flexible next Thursday so will see what they say.

One last question ... what is the brown stuff that I am excreting. Does it look like very soft poop to you

Yes, it looks like soft stool.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.