Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hurt my shins back in the summer, DIY, hit one with a

Hi I hurt my shins back in the summer, DIY, hit one with a hammer. both were swollen and bruised one more so than the other. All got better then in December i took a flight to the USA from Ireland, long flight and both shins hurt by the time i got there. one developed a small lump at the site of the original injury. The lump has gone down but is uncomfortable and makes my shin ace from time to time. Any idea?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you having any pain in the muscles of the calf or is all the pain/aching in the shin?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi no the discomfort is just in the shin although when i run the muscle in that leg does ace a bit. more stiff than pain. i am on Cerazette 75 Micrograms but apart from that am very healthy and relatively fit.

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of these symptoms is from inflammation that has developed at the site of the prior injury. Inflammation can cause localized pain, swelling, warmth, or redness. The flight can exacerbate such condition because of the long period of stress on the legs during a long flight.

If there were more significant pain in the calf, then there might be concern about inflammation in a vein, but since the calf only hurts with running, this is not a concern.

It is good that the lump has already improved. The aching will also usually improve spontaneously, but it is also an option to use an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, to accelerate recovery. It also can help to apply moist heat to the shins.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.