Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

At the weekend I thought I had pulled a muscle, but I have

At the weekend I thought I had pulled a muscle, but I have a lump like an egg on the left side in the middle between my ribs and belly button. Doesn't really hurt until I pressed it, THEN IT HURT. Won't be poking it anymore. Is this a hernia? I have been overusing my left side, as I am waiting to have an operation on my right shoulder. I have been exercising a lot recently as I am no major diet after Christmas. I managed to get a GP appointment for Friday.
Jacky
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.
Well, Hernia is usually soft in nature & changes its shape with position or straining. Hernia occurs, when part of an internal organ or tissue bulges through a weak area of muscle.
Also some people are born with weak muscles and may be more likely to get a hernia. Yes, it could occur with hernia.
If it is not repaired can cause bowel obstruction or strangulation. Also most hernias that cause symptoms or are becoming larger should be repaired by a surgeon. Hernia which is not causing pain and the size is not decreasing , may be left alone.
It could also be a lipoma, This is a benign (noncancerous) fatty lump that usually causes no symptoms or problems, it is made up from fat cells that clump together.
For the time, you can take OTC painkiller like Tylenol.
Yes, please get it clinically evaluate from your GP.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.