Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I recently had my appendix removed after 2 years of pains in

Customer Question

I recently had my appendix removed after 2 years of pains in lower right abdomen and back. When it was removed the surgeon advised that it looked normal. However I have now been asked to go back and see them in 2 months as abnormal cells that they don’t usually see on appendix was seen under a microscope. Any ideas what this could be? I am still having the same pains as before
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Customer:

Thanks for responding

Dr. Charogat :

My guess is that they've seen some cells suggestive of a GIST tumor. Being that it looked normal when he took it out it is likely that IF that is what it is then they've caught it early.

Customer:

what exactly is a GIST tumor?

Dr. Charogat :

Again, IF they found something malignant (which I feel awful even typing over the computer) they would want to run more tests to make sure that the rest of you is okay.

Customer:

so i have still been getting the same pains as before surgery

Dr. Charogat :

GIST tumor is a kind of tumor that is found in the GI (gastro intestinal) tract.

Dr. Charogat :

How long ago was surgery?

Customer:

so my doctor last night said it could all still be linked but he didnt have more info on what teh abnormal cells could be

Customer:

26th november

Customer:

i have had the pains for 2 years with constant urine infections ie blood, protien and high white cell count

Dr. Charogat :

I would think that by now most of the post-operative pain should be gone.

Dr. Charogat :

Was the surgery laporascopic? Did the surgeon say if he looked around inside?

Customer:

Yeah thats what it was and they said everything looked normal barr a small cysts on ovary but that was nothing to worry about

Customer:

even appendix looked okay when he took it out

Customer:

but ovbi after further inspection thats not the case

Dr. Charogat :

My guess (please remember, as I am not your doctor and I did not see what he saw) is that he might want to get some imaging studies of the ovary.

Customer:

no problem thanks. im just hoping due to not wanting to see me until 27th of march its nothing too serious to worry about

Dr. Charogat :

If this is in fact a GIST or any kind of malignant cells then he might want to do more extensive imaging.

Dr. Charogat :

It sounds odd to me that s/he would want to wait so long if there were abnormal cells :/

Customer:

i tried to call today to get another appointment but they have none

Customer:

do u think its worth pushing?

Dr. Charogat :

I think if this was happening to me I would call the doctor and speak to him directly and ask what the cells were suggestive of, and what he is planning to follow up with.

Dr. Charogat :

Yes, I think it is worth pushing. Otherwise you get to worry for months!

Customer:

thank you muchly :) will give them a call tomorrow AM

Customer:

really appreciate your time

Dr. Charogat :

Thank you for coming here.

Dr. Charogat :

I hope I've given you excellent service.

Dr. Charogat :

Please remember that you can come back and ask any more questions without being charged again.

Customer:

thank you x

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just been back to the hospital and they advised it was a tumour 2.5mm so nothing further to worry about as they already have my appendix out.

Back to sqaure one with the pain im still in and back to my own doctor this afternoon

Thanks for your messages