Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

my husband has just had a worrying experience. He got a pain

my husband has just had a worrying experience. He got a pain across the back of the neck & into his left shoulder & then it went up the left side of his face & head. He said the pain was agonising. it lasted a good 15/20 mins before subsiding. he also felt very sick. he suffers with Angina so he took his spray but angina has never affected him like this before with the pain going into the face & head. he has a defiblerator fitted, & has had a heart by pass 6yrs ago today. His cartioid arterys are partly blocked & has to have them assessed every year. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

The fact that his angina hasn't appeared this way in the past does not mean that he is not having a heart issue.

Dr. Charogat :

While there are other possibilities, if this was my husband I'd be running to the emergency room with him. ESPECIALLY because of his cardiac history.

Dr. Charogat :

I haven't heard back from you in over an hour so I am going to change this to a Q&A so that if you have further questions I will be notified.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

Thank you 4 your reply. My husband seems fine now & has been ok 4 the last 1.5hrs. It was very worrying to see him like this especially as he has blocked cartiods. Iwas worried it may have been a Mini Stroke with the symptoms & the excrutiating pain in the head please advise if you think it could be brain related thank you

Dr. Charogat :

What you described does not sound brain related.

Dr. Charogat :

It must be difficult for your to see him so uncomfortable, and to have to worry about his heart as well. :/ I hope that I am able to alleviate at least a tiny bit of that.

Dr. Charogat :

I'll be back on in the morning (US time) to see if you have any further questions.

Dr. Charogat :

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

Hi. You say you don't think that this problem is Brain Related, ok but what about the blocked cartioid arteries, he does have some mood changes & can get get very snappy & defensive at times. Also he has 12 stents in the heart area, he has had oral cancer 2.5 yrs ago, still goes 4 check ups. He also had P.A.D,has to have a 2nd angioplasty on FEB 2ND + he is on warfarine for Artiral fibliration, so you see there is a hell of a lot going on in his life & these extra episodes are only adding to our worry, as i am in poor health myself but that's a different story.

Dr. Charogat :

Hi, wow - you do have your hands full.

Dr. Charogat :

What you describe DOES make it sound like he is at great risk for cardiac or brain events. This case, however, doesn't sound like a brain event.

Dr. Charogat :

When someone has a stroke usually the same side of their face might not be controlled, and the opposite side of the body.

Dr. Charogat :

I haven't heard of stroke presenting as back and neck pain.

Dr. Charogat :

Because of all of his cardiac issues, procedures and stents, he is a greater risk for MID.

Dr. Charogat :

MID is a process that happens when microscopic stokes occur. Those mostly happen in people who have had bypass surgery or stents placed - because it gives tiny little places for clots to form. The fact that he is on blood thinners definitely helps with keep that from happening more than it is already.

Dr. Charogat :

MID is the acronym for multi-infarct dementia, and in its early stages can be treated to help the patient stay more "with it" and slow down the decline into confustion.

Dr. Charogat :

MID can be seen on CT scan.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?

Dr. Charogat :

Do you need more information?

Dr. Charogat :

My goal is to give you excellent service, please let me know if there is something else you need to feel that I did.

Dr. Charogat :

Also, keep in mind that even after you rate my service you can still come back to follow-up questions in this conversation.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless